• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frothy mix

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Well I have a new EB problem..... frothy P/S fluid.

I read that this is caused by air in the system, but I have not done anything to the system. The only thing that might have aided this happening is one of my front tires was really low on air and I moved the truck to my compressor (50 yds or so). Once I stopped the truck, P/S froth came pouring out of the filler tube all over the undercarriage and my driveway. Was the labored steering with a low tire the cause of this?

I read that to get the air out of the system, I need to jack the front end off the ground and turn the wheels back and forth while filling the pump to the correct level (motor off). Have I got this right?

If so, why would I have gotten air in my P/S system if not for the low tire and labored steering?

Thanks in advance for your help!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I read that to get the air out of the system, I need to jack the front end off the ground and turn the wheels back and forth while filling the pump to the correct level (motor off). Have I got this right?

Turning the wheels lock to lock without the fluid going through the system isn't going to do any good. The engine needs to be running and the fluid circulating through the system for the bleeding to work. Jack up the front or remove the pitman arm from the box or drag link. Then turn the wheels lock to lock until there are no more bubbles on the end of the pump dipstick.

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
Seals in the P/S unit might be going out. Thats what happend to me, same thing labored steering on a trail and thats what blew the seal, got frothy pink mix all over. How old is your P/S unit?

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Pyro,

It's the original box with a remanufactured pump (stamped on the side), but the truck only has 76k original miles on it (granted that the truck is still 33 years old). I will try the bleeding process and see where we get.

One side note is that the P/S is slightly bent and wabbles some, would this froth up the fluid or cause internal problems like this?

Thanks,
Mac

Seals in the P/S unit might be going out. Thats what happend to me, same thing labored steering on a trail and thats what blew the seal, got frothy pink mix all over. How old is your P/S unit?

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
The air will work itself out by normal driving. It is possible that you have air entering the system, leak internal or externally. Hard steering can also cause the fluid to aerate or foam. Fluid being low could also cause this too. Sometimes letting the vehicle sit at proper fluid level will alone be all it takes to bleed the air from the system.

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Cool, I will try this tonight.

I should have time to at least do this with everything else that happens after I walk in the door from work.... homework, dinner, baths, bedtime rituals and getting ready for tomorrow!) ;D I wouldn't have it anyother way though.

The air will work itself out by normal driving. It is possible that you have air entering the system, leak internal or externally. Hard steering can also cause the fluid to aerate or foam. Fluid being low could also cause this too. Sometimes letting the vehicle sit at proper fluid level will alone be all it takes to bleed the air from the system.