• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FSB Bronco steering box update: new EB rebuild kit part #'s anybody have?

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
would it hurt to use a FSB without swapping the internals so the pitman would be forward on a stock EB while my stock power box is out getting redone as i really want to drive my truck still and have the FSB box sitting on the floor

Last edited:

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
The steering will be opposite. Turn the wheel left to make vehicle go right.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
no i was thinking about having the arm point foward like the fsb box would

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I've seen it done.
You'd have to mount the box rearward of the tie rods.
I'll see if I can find the pics I saw.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
15xoc4p.jpg

Didn't look like a very good idea to me. imo
I'm not even sure that's far enough back to work.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i didnt know if you could mount in a stock position and run the arm foward and still be able to use it or know if it would bind up or not.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
i didnt know if you could mount in a stock position and run the arm foward and still be able to use it or know if it would bind up or not.

I would say no on that.

The mounting point to the pitman are would be darn near 10-12" forward.
You'd have to have a longer tie rod.
Heck the end of the pitman arm would stick out under the front bumper.

The conversion is not that hard. There are several very good right ups on it.

OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i know its not hard but i have a stock box that i am send ing out to get some work done to it and just wanted to put this on so i can continue to dirve if it would work. i havent heard any one trying it on here and just wasnt sure. maybe ill just have to do the work myself and cut out the shipping on my stock box.

RH

I've looked into mounting a stock 79 box like you are talking about. but i was going to move it back to the same mounting location as a FS bronco, the biggest problem that I saw was the angle of the steering shaft.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The only times I've heard it being done is when the front axle was moved foward as well. Its probably more work than its worth just to be able to drive the bronco temporarily. Easier to just swap the guts out and install it like its should be..

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
anybody have the part numbers for a bearing kit or seal kit and bearing numbers so i can just grab them at work? My warehouse is parts plus and we didnt have anything there maybe with a different number i can get one from one of the other stores

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
As I recall the Napa seal kit is 7-123 but I don't think it includes bearings. JBG has the bearings.