• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel/brake line near exhaust

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Last week I installed my exhaust.
When I got to the drivers side tailpipe I had trouble keeping it away from the brake line and fuel line.

How close is too close? It's only about an inch away.
My bronco has 2 or 3 inches of lift. I assume the only way to fix it is to install a longer brake line (from the chassis to the rear axle)??
Would a braded line stand up to the heat better?

Also the fuel line is plastic. Did they all come that way? Should it swapped out? If so, what size line?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Are you the guy I met here in Bulington this summer???

I would want the fuel and brake lines more than a inch away. There is some good heat insulation you can get to cover any lines close to the exhaust.

http://www.thermotec.com

I have the braided stainless brake line from my fra,e to the rear axle, and you can buy it in longer lenghts. Most of the venders sell these hoses, so get a longer one and route it away from the exhaust.

As far as fuel lines go, I made my own fuel lines this past summer. I used 3/8 steel lines, and just bent them myself.

In this pic you can see the braided brake line, and part of the fuel line I made up.

Attachments

• fuel filter.JPG
    fuel filter.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
It's possible but I looked in the gallery, I have not seen your bronco before.

Thanks for the picture. Now I have two more items on the "to do" list.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
It's possible but I looked in the gallery, I have not seen your bronco before.

Thanks for the picture. Now I have two more items on the "to do" list.

Then it was another guy I met, as I was driving the bronco that day

I checked around the carb but not the manifold. I will check that next.

I did go though the timing a few weeks back. It should be set to 8 degrees.

The smoke looks white. There is not a lot.

Well if you have white smoke there is a good chance you have a coolant leak in the intake somewhere. If so chances are you also have a vacuum leak.

Where in mass are you, and do you have a garage to work in??

If your not to far away, I can help you re seal the intake, and run a pcv line off one of the vacuum ports on the rear of the intake. I also have a small fuel line bender, brake bleading pump, and most any parts you might need.

Give me a call at 781-983-6677

We will get it figured out

Don

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Last week I installed my exhaust.
When I got to the drivers side tailpipe I had trouble keeping it away from the brake line and fuel line.

How close is too close? It's only about an inch away.
My bronco has 2 or 3 inches of lift. I assume the only way to fix it is to install a longer brake line (from the chassis to the rear axle)??
Would a braded line stand up to the heat better?

Also the fuel line is plastic. Did they all come that way? Should it swapped out? If so, what size line?

For the fuel line, It's not that it is 1" away at one point that's a problem but that it is close for much of its length. Remember that it picks up heat all the way. Try putting the lines on the outside of the frame rails. That will block the heat.