• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Door

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Could anyone tell me where I could find a fuel door with actual hex bolts that work? All I can find are the kind that have "simulated" ones. I would prefer being able to buy over the net but if someone knows another place it would be appreciated. Thanks.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
A couple of options. You might be able to drill out the simulated ones and put real ones in their place. The other option is that you might be able to find one in a Motorcycle salvage yard that uses real ones. (And it would probably cost less as well)

OP
OP
B

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
That's what I was thinking. Kinda hoped that there was somewhere that sold "real" ones. I don't know if I could find 2 of the same in a salvage yard around here.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
I have used the motorcycle billet fuel doors to make a clean flush fuel door look. It worked great

Attachments

• DSCN2918.JPG
    DSCN2918.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN2917.JPG
    DSCN2917.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
B

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Buckin74 said:
I have used the motorcycle billet fuel doors to make a clean flush fuel door look. It worked great

Beautiful Bronco Buckin74. I read the article in Bronco Driver already. Seeing that was pretty much the clincher that I should do it on mine now instead of later when I have the quarters on already. Hopefully on Monday I can find some at some salvage yard in the province. Do you remember how much you paid for the both of yours?

Last edited:

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Buckin74 said:
hey rob, congradulations on the cover shot and great article in bronco driver #15!

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Thanks guys for the comments

broncomanbrad

I checked with the local salvage yards for bike tanks--- Yamaha was a favorite. I was looking for a later year R-1 tank and settled for the FZR-1000 tanks. Just make sure you get two of the same make tanks to match the bungs you cut up and weld into the body.
I paid approx $ 50 dollars per complete tank. Some quotes at yards were up to $125 each tank so check around. When the bikes go down, the tops of the tanks usually never get damaged. If you can get the keys, great. If not, the local locksmith picked and re-keyed for $10.
Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki all are almost the exact same style and diamater of fuel door. Any one of the go fast street bikes should work the same.

Good Luck

OP
OP
B

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Buckin74 said:
Thanks guys for the comments

broncomanbrad

I checked with the local salvage yards for bike tanks--- Yamaha was a favorite. I was looking for a later year R-1 tank and settled for the FZR-1000 tanks. Just make sure you get two of the same make tanks to match the bungs you cut up and weld into the body.
I paid approx $ 50 dollars per complete tank. Some quotes at yards were up to $125 each tank so check around. When the bikes go down, the tops of the tanks usually never get damaged. If you can get the keys, great. If not, the local locksmith picked and re-keyed for $10.
Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki all are almost the exact same style and diamater of fuel door. Any one of the go fast street bikes should work the same.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info Buckin74. The matching doors are a must. My Bronco won't be quite as immaculate as yours when it's done, but it should be pretty nice.

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
Buckin74 said:

I remember that thread. LOL. It took 5 days to get pictures but the wait was well worth it. Congrats on the well deserving cover and article. ;D

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
They've been common on sport bikes for twenty years or so. I think if you looked for older, less popular models the price would be correspondingly lower. An '86 Yamaha Radian comes to mind as one of the least expensive models with flush fillers. Maybe a 250 ninja might have them.

If your in the greater Seattle area, look up Bent Bike, and Cycle Recyclers.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Downhillmaniac99

Jeezzzzz --- Was it only "5" days ?. I was hopeing everybody had "CRS" and forgot about that one !!

BroncoBoy69

Loc.
Nome Alaska
well i dont know about you guys but i plan on running gerioula warfair flairs in the furtrue and im thinking about taking the gas filler and hiding it behind the tail light and just hindging the tial light. well tell me what you think or if any one had dont it.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I have never been a motorcycle guy. So I will need exact models and such to try and look and locate a set of tanks that will work. I know it was said yamaha, honda, suzuki, but what year/what model?

I really like this. maybe someone has a salvage yard nearby that can get the tank cutouts for me..hint.hint %) ;)

thanks
brian

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Brian72

1991 - 1995 Yamaha FZR-1000 street bike for the style of doors I have
2001 and up for Yamaha R1 street bike for newer model

You'll have to do some leg work at the local motorcyle salvage yard to find two tanks of the same model and brand of bike to use. Your pocket book and your persistance and luck will dictate the amount you pay for two tanks. Any of the brands I listed will work. All of the brands have very little differance in cap size (4 1/4" - 4 1/2" diameter).

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I wanna do this, but I'm not sure how the inlet part of the door was added?

and you say you got the billet door from a motorcycle tank?

PS they look great

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I am researching this now...I think I have a couple tanks in my sights. Will let you know how it turns out. I will take bunches of pics.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Are motorcycle fuel doors vented types?

Hey Rob,

How did you weld the fuel bungs in your body?

Cut a square and welded to the back side of the circular fuel fill hole in the body?

Lay over from outside and body work?

Cutting out the bung in a circle and welded them into the body itself?

(Have pics of prefab?)