• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Injected 351

pacebm

Loc.
Hartselle
I have searched and researched but I can't find a definitive thread on how to put a fuel injected 5.8 liter in the Bronco. Can someone send me in the right direction? I realize the truck engines won't fit with the plenum but I am pretty much lost from there. Thanks for any help. I am sure a lot of you guys have done this setup along with a transmission swap. My 302 is tired and the c4 is shot.

BroncoRunner

Loc.
SE Michigan
Here's a quick look at a 5.8L switched over to mass air using Chucks adapter and RJM wiring harness............many other ebay finds also. First try at fuel injection................pretty simple and fired right up.

Attachments

• engine center.jpg
    engine center.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 123
  • engine left.jpg
    engine left.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 120

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
three options :(that I'm aware of)
1. BC's adapter using a 5.8 lower , the adapter and a regular 5.0 upper.
2. a 5.8 lightning lower and an explorer upper.
3. aftermarket intakes.

flousberg

three options :(that I'm aware of)
1. BC's adapter using a 5.8 lower , the adapter and a regular 5.0 upper.
2. a 5.8 lightning lower and an explorer upper.
3. aftermarket intakes.

As far as I know this are all the options. I did a lightning lower and explorer upper. The lightning lowers are getting hard to find. If I did it again, I would get a trickflow intake. I think it is a little shorter also.

2horsegarage

Loc.
Denver Colorado
Adapter

Even with the BC adapter I couldn't get full hood clearance. I think you need an inch or more of life to close the hood unless you want to add a scoop.

OP
OP
pacebm

pacebm

Loc.
Hartselle
Thanks guys! Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. I will be asking questions as I go along so please excuse a fuel injection virgin.

nutter3

Quick question on this. All the threads I read say to use all the FI components from the same donor. But when you are using a 5.8 truck lower to bolt to a 351, a BC adapter, and a car upper, what pieces and parts do you get from what donor?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I think im gonna try the holley commander 950 fi setup,theres a few people that have been running it and it seems like the best of both worlds- fi on a 4bbl intake= low hight.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quick question on this. All the threads I read say to use all the FI components from the same donor. But when you are using a 5.8 truck lower to bolt to a 351, a BC adapter, and a car upper, what pieces and parts do you get from what donor?

You need to read the RJM site .... specifically the BroncoDriver article. It is a great way to start to learn what part can be sourced from where.
If I were to do it again , I'd buy another RJM harness and piece meal the parts from whereever i could.
I just happened onto an Explorer motor , complete , so I have the front dress also , plus the GT40 stuff , but that was a bit spendy. Next time I'm robbing the parts from an old town car or something that no one else will touch , thus cheap parts. Skipping the two pumps with an accumulator for the HP pump mounted right near the tank on the frame.

I do like how the Explorer fuel rail puts the fuel fittings at the back of the motor however.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Basically you can use all the parts from the 302 donor except the lower intake. Use the stock 5.8 lower with the BC adapter.

flousberg

If I was to do a 5.8 again, I would get the trickflow intake then everything else of a explorer or mustang.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
there is no way i would run the stock 5.0 upper. that thing is a restriction on a 302. why spend all that $$$ to have 302 power? i bought a edelbrock intake for $300 and it came with a 75mm throttle body.

i just completed my efi build. i used all the fuel lines and filter from 94 bronco and put a pump in the stock tank. i used a stock 5.0 harness and other mostly OEM parts. in fact the edelbrock intake, radiator, and throttle body are the only non OEM parts that i used.

there are many different ways to do it so dont get stuck on the I have to use this part or that part. investigate and ask questions before you spend your $$$.