• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel injection vs carb ( 5.0 vs holley,msd,edelbrock

1crazypony

Loc.
LOYALTON
So I have been trying to decide on the fuel injection or staying carbed
I have a stroked 351 approximate 400 horse motor in my 72.
Currently edelbrock carb and mechanical fuel pump.
I have done a full frame off and have not driven it since it was taken apart. I had always planned on staying simple easy to work on so was going carbed but recently have been thinking of fuel injection. I found a explorer intake at a local scrap yard not to expensive but I will need the lower, computer, distributor, wire harness. Adding up so, I really like holley's new Tb efi but its expensive.
Just looking for opinions!!
Thanks

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Been looking at this too for my mostly stock 351 in my crawler. I also have an explorer upper, mustang upper, as well as a complete truck 351 efi setup and even a spare A9L computer on the shelf. Still need to buy a harness ($500), TB ($200), Mass Air unit ($250), BC adapter $120, fuel pumps, fuel line, efi dizzy $250...

A Fast system without fuel pumps can be had for $1500... $2100 with complete fuel line and pumps.

At this point, I am thinking I may sell what I have and go the Fast route, but would be interested in other opinions too.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I'd go fuel injected, have EFI Guy rework a stock Explorer / Mustang harness for you, much cheaper in the long run. That's what I'm doing on my built 351w.

Otherwise, at least get a good carb, Holley would be my choice.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
If you are VERY diligent in searching craigslist, ebay, etc... a lightning lower can be found for a reasonable price. I got mine for around $270 (considering they go for around $500 on ebay frequently, I think I did okay). Mine was in nearly perfect shape, I simply cleaned it up and installed it.
Aftermarket harnesses are going to set you back around $500, or you can find a factory harness and rework it yourself if you're so inclined.

You're probably looking at bigger than the standard 19lb/hr injectors and in that case you're looking at a calibrated MAF sensor, that won't be too cheap.

I am probably into my setup for $1000 or so, then I swapped gas tanks and bought one with an in-tank pump which put me around $1500.

I am extremely pleased with my results having never attempted EFI before. Runs like a champ, fires right up after sitting for weeks in the cold, and honestly I think it runs better than my (newer) pickup truck.

If you do not go with Ford EFI, the GM TBI setups are the next best option in my opinion. Reason being that all of the parts you'll ever need for it can be had at any local chain auto parts store. The same can't be said of the aftermarket setups, and for me that's enough of an argument. I would not want to be broken down in some podunk town with a failed aftermarket part. Chances are much higher that you could find whatever you need for an OEM setup in any little town with an autozone and be back on the road.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What use to you intend to put the Bronco to crazypony?
If nothing fancy but the occasional trip to the store, I might be tempted to stay carbureted for awhile and at least drive it for some time until you decide you just can't live with it.

Are you in Loyalton, as it the Sierras? Then I'd be SUPER tempted to go with any EFI setup rather than a carb!
I like them all, but there's no doubt that a new one is a lot of money to spend. By the time you have all the Ford stuff sourced, you could still be into it for $1000-$1500 or so too though. I know some that have sourced it all for under $500. But those are few and far between and most are well over a grand before they even start to get it running.
So that's at least something to consider when pricing things in your head and deciding if the extra work of sourcing your own stuff and making sure it's compatible is worth the savings over buying a complete package.

Good luck though. Gonna be fun either way!
Me? I'm going EFI. But I've driven my Bronco daily for years, and had it sit for years, and had it at high and low altitudes and know my way around a carburetor. But once I can put it all together and get it running, I know I'm not going back either.

Paul

Oatmeal

I have a warmed over 351W in my 69 and have had great results running a GM Qjet but recently the carb has been leaking through the fuel bowl epoxied plugs (common issue) and I really don't want to mess with it.
I sourced a GM TB, computer and a few other parts from the local j/y over the years, saved the fuel pumps and TB adapter from my old POS Holley Pro Jection system and got a hold of Affordable Fuel Injection and they put together a harness, burned a chip for my cam specs and supplied all the remaining needed sensors.
I think I have a total of about $600 into it.....just need to get off my butt and put it all in.... my truck's already plumbed with a return line so it would probably be a weekend's worth of work.
Just something you might want to look into.
BTW, I used to run an Edelbrock Performer carb.....horrible off road when you get tilted/off camber.
Hans

Justin@WH4x4

Sponsor/Vendor
I would have to agree with Dirtdonk (Paul) and Oatmeal. You might want to give your carb a good run and see what the results are. You might find that your carb works out just fine. Eventually like all carbs it will probably frustrate you into wanting something more. I ran a Jet performance Quadrajet carb for years with great results but eventually decided that I had to have EFI. I went with the Edelbrock E Street Throttle Body setup and have been very happy with it. As with any new addition, you always need to do a little massaging, and you may run into a snag along the way. Mine was that my EFI setup, and the existing HEI Distributor that I was running didn't work well together, I recently upgraded the module to a MSD with a clean tach signal output and it's running flawlessly. Very happy with it.

OP
OP

1crazypony

Loc.
LOYALTON
Justin your hard to get a hold of, thanks for the reply. I had heard you were going efi and had tried calling wild horses a few times with questions but it seems you eat lunch a lot. :)
Thanks again for he reply take care.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Do you plan to do any off-road with off-camber situations?

Do you plan to do any serious elevation changes

If you say yes to the above, most praise a properly set up Q-jet,that is, if you wish to stay carbureted, but it still can't match fuel injection.

If money grows on trees for you...go fuel injected. Most costs seem to range from 1500-2500 to do a proper conversion for the average guy. If you do it right the first time it's about as reliable as a hammer.

I've stayed with a stock carb on mine because it's stock. I don't plan to do any "real" off-roading nor any "real" elevation change and am pretty much a tarmac warrior. I also run a wideband and have dialed my carb in, so far seems to be pretty reliable as well.

If I lived where I could drive it 300+ days out of the year, I'd go with an exploder swap.

Last edited:

Justin@WH4x4

Sponsor/Vendor
Justin your hard to get a hold of, thanks for the reply. I had heard you were going efi and had tried calling wild horses a few times with questions but it seems you eat lunch a lot. :)
Thanks again for he reply take care.

Haha! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I just got back from a longgggg lunch. I'm here if you have any questions. I normally take lunch around 1pm and get back 1:45ish. Talk to you soon!

eb-nutt1

At 400ish hp a stock mustang/explorer efi setup is not going to run Will without proper injectors and tuning. The stock setups everybody sings the praises about work great till about 275-300 hp and then you have to start adding $$ to the $1000-1500 initial setup cost. Any of the newer tbi setups u mentioned would work great, just have to foot the bill all at once. Stick with the carb and work your frame of restoring bugs out and see how you like it and then decide if you need rig. Me personally, I've never had any luck with edelbrock carbs, Holley all the way, with the truck avenger being a good middle of the road comprise to rig if not doing extreme offroading.