• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel lines for a carbureted 302

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Yeah, most rubber lined braided SS hose doesn't like modern fuel. Looks pretty, doesn't last very long at all. If you're determined to have braided SS hose you need to move right to the teflon lined stuff and forget the rubber lined hose. If you want to be uber-cool find a source for the actual stuff used on aircraft because it has a static dissipating additive to the teflon liner. I credit Lars with my even knowing about that stuff.

For regular fuel hose I have had excellent results from using the EFI "Emissions Barrier" hose. I try to buy Gates when I can. It is not cheap, but it works and lives with modern fuels.
I use it on the "Push-Lock" or "Barb-tite" type hose ends and I've had great results from doing that. Never had an issue with it and I've been doing this for about a decade or slightly more. Did I mention that I HATE hose clamps on rubber hose? With these hose ends no clamp is needed and using one is actually a bad thing because it causes the fitting to cut the hose liner.

I use that Wix 33481 fuel filter on all of my builds. The fitting is called an "O-Ring Bump" by at least some of the mfg's and the size needed is the M16 version (NOT the M18 version). I prefer the aluminum adapters intended for fuel over the steel adapters intended for a PS system because anodizing is more corrosion resistant the any of the plating used on the steel fittings.

For a carb system I would set it up with an EFI inline or in-tank pump and a by-passing type pressure regulator to a return line. Modern fuel is formulated to be in pressurized fuel supply systems. That means that it boils off easier than the fuels of old; or it sure seems like it! If my '73 C10 sits more than a couple of hours it's fuel bowl is dry and I need to crank it a bit before it will start. With a by-passing regulator you can head off any potential for vapor lock. Make the line from the regulator to the carb as short as possible.

This pic shows all of that on my now sold Valiant project, Emissions barrier hose on Push-Lock hose ends, the by-passing regulator, the top of the Wix filter, and the ~20" of hose going to the carb:
i-89rpRfq-X2.jpg

This pic shows the Walbro TBI (~15 psi) inline fuel pump and more the the emissions barrier hose and hose ends:
i-ggtF8QF-L.jpg

What it doesn't show is the hose end at the rear of the pump being changed to a 45° version to take that kink out of the supply hose.

Comemonday71

Contributor
Good Afternoon fellas, say on a related note any have any experience with Earl's Performance EFI Vapor Guard hoses?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
It is likely the same or similar to the hose that Gates calls "Barricade" hose. Looks like typical rubber fuel hose except that it has a thin liner made of something like teflon or another polymer that is unaffected by any of the chemicals in modern gasoline. I can source the Gates hose from my local Napa.