• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Pressure question.

georgec

Loc.
Patterson, CA
I've had the EB for a week. I've ordered the Chilton manual but it's not here yet. The previous owner installed an electric fuel pump when the mechanical went bad. I think it's putting out too much pressure but I'm not sure. I'd like to test it but I just don't know how much fuel pressure it supposed to have. <br><br>thanks,<br><br>george<br><br>

G

my mechanical is getting a little weak, and it puts out 5 pounds. From what I hear, anything in the 5 to 8 pound range is good for the EB

74bronc

Bronco Guru
A carbureted engine doesn't need more than about 7psi fuel pressure, and that is on the high side. I run at about 6 around town and 2-3psi off road. I have an adjustable regulator.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I think certain carbs like certain pressure. May check your carb manuel.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
74bronc,<br><br>what regulator do you use? what carb are you using?<br><br>I always found those silver ones hard to figure out what setting I was on.

OP
OP
G

georgec

Loc.
Patterson, CA
I had a Holley carb on it but I just don't like it. I can't get it adjusted right and I here the same thing from everyone I talk to.. They're touchy, but great if you know how to adjust them.. I don't know how to adjust them so I just bought a Edlebrock and I'm installing it now. I also bought a pressure regulator. It's too dark to finish the work. I have to rerun the fuel lines and a couple more things.. tomorrow.<br><br>george<br>

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I have an adjustible fuel pressure regulator also, but I run mine at about 41lbs. Does EFI make a difference in that? j/k ;D<br>-Eric

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=c2computer link=board=5;threadid=9010;start=0#64442 date=1031851099]<br>74bronc,<br><br>what regulator do you use? what carb are you using?<br><br>I always found those silver ones hard to figure out what setting I was on.<br>[/quote]<br><br>My regulator is a NAPA one that has a dial with detents to adjust it. I'll snap a pic of it for you if you would like. It was like $20 and is adjustable from 0-7psi. Like I said, I run around town with it at 6 and the thing runs great. Off road, I crank it down to 2 or 3. The only thing that sucks is when I forget to turn it back up and the engine falls on its face when I wind it up to pass the yokels going 55MPH on the freeway. When I go out of town, I turn it down to 0 so that the thieves that are stealing my bronco will only get to the end of the parking lot!!! lol ;D I am running a Holley 600cfm universal carb. I am one of the few that loves the Holley. It does suck off road, but I only do mild off roading, so it's not too big of an issue. Mine has been completely trouble-free for the 4 years I have had it on there. I mean I have NEVER had any tempermental problems with it. I plan to go the EFI route some day, but until then....

brentfd

Loc.
C/S, CO
Edlebrock carbs call for 7 lbs max...<br><br>I run mine at 5 on/off road with no probs, I did rebuild with the "off-road" kit.

OP
OP
G

georgec

Loc.
Patterson, CA
Wow, started right up the first time, warmed it up, checked for leaks and drove around for about 30 minutes. Worked great. I set the pressure to 5 and I've had no problems. <br><br>I just now need a better electronic fuel pump. It's one of the kind that VW people use and it makes too much noise. Damn click click click. <br><br>george<br>