• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel pump is getting hot someone please help

tompdog7

i have tried everything to get my bronco running. after running about 10 minutes it will get sluggish and die. i just put a new electric fuel pump on it.the fuel pump is getting very hot and is vaporlocking the gas. i moved it to the fender well away from the motor. it was mounted on the engine. the engine temp is at 190 when it does this. what should i do now. i am very frustrated. could it not be getting enough voltage or is the heat in the engine causing it. any help would be appreciated. should i just wait and drive it in the winter????

OP
OP
T

tompdog7

would this keep the fuel pump from overheating due to the engine temp or because it is pushing instead of pulling. or both??? this would make sense because it runs great in the winter. thanks for your help.

Hazegray

Get a 12 foot piece of 3/8" tubing, place it in a bucket of water & try to suck the water out...breathing hard yet?

Now, get a 1 foot piece of tubing & try it. Mucho easier.

The electric fuel pump motor is working harder pulling fuel from way back from the gas tank.

OP
OP
T

tompdog7

would it be dangerous to have the fuel pump free floating a few inches out of the fuel tank not mounted to the frame? or would it be safer to mount it to the frame. what is the max distance from the fuel tank. thanks

Hazegray

Mount it on the frame. If you do a search of this site, you should find some pics.

I don't run an electric pump so I can't exactly tell you where to mount.

Naildriver111

Loc.
Rainsville, AL
If you only have 1 tank, then you can put it below the drivers door on the outside of the frame away from the exaust pipe. Also that part of the frame is lower than the fuel tank, gravity will put fuel to the pump. and it will only have to push it now.

Sabas

If you have an old ignition coil bracket laying around. You can use that to mount the fuel pump closer to tthe tank.
Sabas

OP
OP
T

tompdog7

i spent all afternoon moving the pump above the frame rail about 2 feet from the tank. it drove pretty good but it still gets hot and starts cooking the fuel after about 10 minutes then it dies. i am baffled. i dont know what else to do. should the fuel pump be getting hot at all. someone told me you should be able to touch it after running it all day. it gets so hot i cant touch it. i havent checked it yet but could it be getting too much or not enough voltage. to be honest with you i dont know how to check that. i am figuring this out as i go. i have been doing a pretty good job so far but i am starting to get frustrated. thanks for any help.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
tompdog7 said:
i spent all afternoon moving the pump above the frame rail about 2 feet from the tank. it drove pretty good but it still gets hot and starts cooking the fuel after about 10 minutes then it dies. i am baffled. i dont know what else to do. should the fuel pump be getting hot at all. someone told me you should be able to touch it after running it all day. it gets so hot i cant touch it. i havent checked it yet but could it be getting too much or not enough voltage. to be honest with you i dont know how to check that. i am figuring this out as i go. i have been doing a pretty good job so far but i am starting to get frustrated. thanks for any help.

This is going to sound goofy, but check where your power is coming from(distance) and amperage draw of the pump, and make sure your wire gauge is adequate for the load. Longer distance causes a voltage drop due to resistance caused by longer travel, which can result in fewer available amps. I think I got that right ?:? anyway..if ya run a longer circuit, you generally need heavier gauge wire. So don't use that trailer light wire ya had laying around.. ;D

cynrays

Be sure that you have a good ground. Better the ground wire is grounded to the negative side of the battery...

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I run an electric pump and it gets warm but never hot like you are describing. Mine is mounted on the inside of the frame on the driver's side just in front of the tank. It is grounded to the frame at the same location. Runs fine with no problems.

OP
OP
T

tompdog7

i have put three new pumps on it. i just wired it directly to the battery and grounded it in the battery. it still gets hot and cooks the gas. is the battery bad (too much voltage) or is the alternator bad. i dont know what it could be???

72bronco

Bronco Guru
tompdog7 said:
i have put three new pumps on it. i just wired it directly to the battery and grounded it in the battery. it still gets hot and cooks the gas. is the battery bad (too much voltage) or is the alternator bad. i dont know what it could be???

What do you mean when you say it is wired directly to the battery and grounded in the battery? Mine is wired through the ignition so that when the key is in the on position the fuel pump gets power. It is grounded to the frame.