• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel pump opinions

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
well my 13+ yr. old mech. fuel pump has started leaking
around the seam. My question is should I just replace it, or upgrade to an ele. fuel pump? I have dual tanks if I go elec. can I just mount it on the frame near where the old pump was on the block? Is it REALLY worth the cost difference?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you get an electric pump it should be mounted near the tanks I have a carter electric pump P/N 4070 thats been on my 73 for over 20+ years still works good I have dual tanks and its mounted to the frame about half way between both tanks and I can switch it off when I want sort off a theft deterant. I'm not sure what a mech pump costs but the carter that I have is about $60 from summit racing I just got another one just in case my old one goes out its pretty quite to but you can hear it.
oh yeah I use the electric pump to fill up my gas can for my mower don't have to run to the gas station any more

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Just replaced a mechanical fuel pump today. Master brand replacement fuel pump from Autozone--$10.79 with a lifetime guarantee. Came with a new gasket.

The install took about 2 hours and that included an oil change. Could have been shorter, but I am lacking on some tools.

Not sure what an electric pump costs, but for $10.79, I didn't look much further.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Get the same typ you had good service from it and they dont cost much and dont make that much noise good luck.:p :p :p Bill 8) %) :p

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I seemed to always be suffering from vapor lock problems with my old mechanical fuel pump. After trying everything to solve it I finally put in an electric pump and the problem was solved. I mounted the pump on the outside of the frame rail right by the fuel tank. I removed the old pump and bought a plate to cover the opening. Re-routing the fuel lines and completing the wiring was a piece-of-cake and the whole install probably took me about an hour and a half.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Guys,

One of the benefits of converting to an elec. pump is that you can install a switch in the power line and this gives you a very good theft deterent.....just flip the hidden switch and a theif won't get your Bronco more than 500 yards away from where he stole it.