• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel separator for Bronco?

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Lately I have been getting alot of bad gas, i.e. water. I was doing somelight crawling the other day and she sputtered on me alot. I changed the filter and and a lot of water came out of it. Currently I only have filter in carb in fuel system. Has anyone used a diesel water separator on Bronco? I have access to a FREE disel one, just wondering if it would work...

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
no reason why it wouldn't.
you might want to put some dryer n your gas to help get the water out.

TonyPDX

Contributor
I am using a diesel fuel water seperator. I made it into an accumulator while I was at. Works fine so far. The West Marine idea is a good one as well.

Tony

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
TonyPDX said:
I am using a diesel fuel water seperator. I made it into an accumulator while I was at. Works fine so far. The West Marine idea is a good one as well.

Tony

LOL..I'll add this then: I use the marine filter/seperator on every truck I have and, in the case of my EFI '69, I modified that one to also be my fuel accumulator. West Marine and Boater's World...the brand is Sierra. (Available with chrome or black filter mount.. ;D ) If you want to get really serious, Racor makes a replacement element for it that includes a drain bowl and all, just the like the diesel units - but with the finer filter mesh/paper used for gasoline.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
How did you modify the marine water/fuel separator into an accumulator? Do you have any pictures?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
70EB said:
How did you modify the marine water/fuel separator into an accumulator? Do you have any pictures?

I did not take any pics when I was building it but the mod is very simple. First, note that the marine filter/separator units have two 'ins' and two 'outs' on the filter housing.

1. Plug one of the 'out' ports.
2. Tap the center port inside the filter housing for 1/4" npt and screw in a pipe nipple that reaches to within about 1/2" from bottom of your spin-on filter. This is now the suction line for the HP pump and is connected to the remaining 'out' port.
3. Connect your low-pressure supply to one of the 'in'ports
4. Connect your tank return line and your EFI return together at the other other 'in' port.