• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel, Spark, Still won't run

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I need a little help from someone who is more engine savvy than I am. I have a 351w that cut out on me cruising down the interstate a few days ago. I hauled it home so I could tear it apart and find out whats wrong. I have solid spark, I'm getting fuel into the carb, and I cannot get the thing to even attempt to fire. It just cranks. Secondly, I tryed a timing light, but I can't seem to get to the marks on the engine, any advice for this? I just jumped on the throttle to pass someone it poped like it misfired and then died and I coasted to the side of the road.Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
MikeEB

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D You need to ck the cam timming you mite have jumped time bad chain. Good luck. :p :p :p Bill %) :p :cool:

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
You might've jumped a tooth on the timing chain. Check to make sure your #1 cylinder is at TDC when the timing marks line up at 0 deg. If they don't align, you jumped a tooth.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
elemetal said:
You might've jumped a tooth on the timing chain. Check to make sure your #1 cylinder is at TDC when the timing marks line up at 0 deg. If they don't align, you jumped a tooth.

I vote for timing chain as well.

But the above quote for checking it is wrong. That is for checking a slipped harmonic balancer (that doesn't keep the engine from running though).

If you can get the timing light to work while cranking the engine, are the timing marks close? If you need to crank on the distributor (or already did) to get the timing marks to line up then the timing chain has jumped.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Like everyone else has said it's probably the timing chain. How long has it been since it's been replaced? I replaced mine the other day while doing a cam swap.

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
Sorry,Broncobowsher is right, I was thinking about valve position when I said TDC and not piston position. Thanks for clarifiying what I thought rather than what I said %)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You may also want to check the dist gear sometimes the roll pin holding it on breaks and lets it slip enough to get out of time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
coachbarnes said:
Would you still have spark if the Dist. gear pin sheared? just curious -- Definitely sounds like timing to me, though.

Yes, it could have spark. The gear is pressed onto the shaft and locked in place with the pin. But I doubt that is the cause.

Pull the cap off the distributor, then reach down and rock the crank pulley. with a chain, you get maybe 5° of backlash on a new chain with break in miles. Maybe less if you got a really good one. Get up on the 20~30° turn of the crank back and forth to move the distributor and it is a used motor. 45° and up and you are asking for problems. That's my quick "found this motor and wonder if it is any good" timing chain check.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
coachbarnes said:
Would you still have spark if the Dist. gear pin sheared? just curious -- Definitely sounds like timing to me, though.
Sparks still there just not at the right time had this happen on a 460 once had a heck of a time trying to figure out what was wrong as we knew the timing chain was practicaly new. I would lean more towards the timing chain also but I thought I'd throw this out there just in case and this is easier to check.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I vote roll pin. Assuming it's new I can't see the chain jumping. Usually the chain will jump a tooth and the motor will be gutless but not stop running. Often times the factory does not press the rollpin through both sides of the gear so it is in single sheer. I've only broken 2 so that's how I know. That would be the easiest thing to check, other than a module.