• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fuel tank cleaning, method suggestions?

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
Guys:

I am in the process of replacing my old fuel tank. Bought a new one from Tom's, noticed there are some metal shavings and small debris inside tank. Any suggestions on how to rinse out? It appears galvanized inside but I'm leery of rinsing out with water in case it flash rusts. I tried the air hose but it is hard to get the debris to blow out the small opening for the sender......thanks!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The EPA may not approve of what I suggest.

Rinse it out with fast evaporating petroleum based solvent, like paint thinner/mineral spirits/acetone etc.

jeff_gates

I didn't clean mine so well, and sucked up a bunch of junk into the filter they gave me. now I carry a few filters with me just in case.

stoker

Give it a good shake until all the debris falls into one corner then shove a vacuum hose in through the gauge sender opening. As long as it's all loose you should be able to suck it out.

suthernboy

Loc.
Greenville, NC
Give it a good shake until all the debris falls into one corner then shove a vacuum hose in through the gauge sender opening. As long as it's all loose you should be able to suck it out.

X2 -- THEN rinse it out with a gallon of fast evaporating petroleum product. Pour non-evaporated portion of petroleum product down your chain-link fence line to kill weeds. Win-Win. :D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've always used a garden hose. Lots of water and TSP (trisodium phosphate). That's the same stuff you clean walls with before painting. Leave the tank out in the sun and it will dry fast.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Radiator shop- better job, faster, and all the chemicals and other stuff on the DIY list isn't free - in the end radiator shop