• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full body wrap

TAC71

Has anyone used 3M or similar vinyl full wrap on their Bronco?

Its time for a full rebuild on my Bronco and was considering just plain white paint as a base and doing a full wrap in the colour I choose. My truck is a daily driver/trail runner. Don't know how well it will hold up to the brush and tree branches we have hanging over our trails, even paint gets abused. Black is a very bad idea around here for our trails. But at least it could be redone every few months/ year as required without the hefty repaint bill.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Try contacting local wrap shops and see what they say. The compound curves area a real pain to get to lay down right. I know a shop that was going to wrap a van for advertising. Wrap shop didn't want to touch it. Something about the paint being too aged. They only do new or very new vehicles.

OP
OP
T

TAC71

I am curious if anyone has done it to a bronco that gets used. We used to do it to some of the race cars and it worked ok, but its not quite the same as a daily driven/offroader

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
They do wraps to daily drivers all the time. The trail part if it... It's going to show scratches like any paint or plastic. The color chosen will dictate how noticeable they will be. Rub it against rocks, it will tear...

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Chose the right wrap pattern and the trail scratches won't be as noticeable.

sffan15

Is there anywhere that sells these wraps specifically for our trucks? Sounds like it's been done before from the comments above, but I've been googling my ass off and haven't found any advertised.

Bronco1970man

Loc.
Arizona
I had an urban camo wrap with some advertising stuff put on my business vehicle back in 2007. Hate to admit it on here but it was a 2007 4 door heep. (No comments needed, I know I know) Anyway, wraps can be put on almost anything. It helps to have at least clean straight body underneath. The compound curves shouldn't be an issue for a good shop. That urban camo hid scratches and scuffs pretty well. The cool thing about vehicle wraps is you can put anything on it from one plane color to crazy graphics or realistic pictures. It's really only limited to the designers imagination. If you decide to go the wrap route you need to shop the heck out of it because prices vary greatly. A lot of the cost when I did mine was how long a good the warranty was. The key is get a good 3M product and a good shop for a low price even if the warranty isn't very long. I got mine for around $1200 because I only had them warranty it for six months, but it was still in great shape three years later when I peeled it off. And the paint underneath was perfect!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
My Bronco with Camo Wrap

... OK HERE'S SEVERAL PICTURES OF MY BRONCO ..& YES IT GETS USED in the Brush. Hunting ...Climbing ...& farming.
..Now mine may not be the wrap you talking about but I like mine. Mine is 7 years old .. It was guaranteed for 5 years. It's still look good. Mine has been shop kept. Mine was a Brand called Camoclad. & it is a 3M product paper. Our Broncos are the perfect ride to install it on due to the flat panels.
Mine came in 5X6 ft sheets & I got 6 sheets. I was able to use one full sheet for each door each front fender and each rear quarter panel. Then I used 3 scrap pieces for the hood. One piece down each side of the raised scoop & then one across the nose of the hood.
.. After adding the sheets to my Bronco I painted the raised hood scoop FLAT BLACK Spray Can bed liner and over lapped the edges of the sheeting too keep it from pealing up under the edges. Then I Spray Can Bed Liner on my rocker panels.. My Grill ..And my windows up & the Half cab is also bed linered so as to not have to mess with the Sheeting on the harder corners .
.. I must give credit too my Wife as she helped me add all but the hood . She matched up all the edges off the material as from doors to the front fenders. You can see the whiter limbs all match. I'd have had them going every direction. I finally understood what she was talking about.
... Those pictures you can see some of the useage I use my Bronco for . But just a few weeks ago I drove my Bronco completely through a brush & wooded area on the farm. The Post oaks were about 30 ft tall & I wanted a road or trail That I can drive from my deer woods over to that clear space that we built a new fence on this summer. But I Crushed through that woods for about 75 yard inside then down the cleared right a way for a couple hunderd yards .& then turned into the Brush.. Briers & Brambles.. I don't know if you have Briers where your from but they are nasty.. They are about a 1/4 vine with thorns ever inch and these run up into the tops of these trees ... Now granted I went around all the real trees But I'd noticed that there was just enough room around & through that wood.
... I did ruin a good tire doing this move but the skin on my Bronco did not take one tear.
... When I get my tractor back I intend to take it over & brush hog the trail again . Getting it closer to the ground .

Attachments

• DSCN5704.jpg
    DSCN5704.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCN5920.jpg
    DSCN5920.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 326
  • P1010001 5.jpg
    P1010001 5.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
My company uses wrap on a lot of are semi trailer, and they are pretty durable, but they do show scratches pretty well, but they are mostly white, and the larger the area the more imperfection show up.

Attachments

• 140224_0008.jpg
    140224_0008.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 120

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK I'll also tell what I did for preparation for adding this skin.. My Bronco had about 2 coats of different colored paint on it. There did seem to be a good coat of gray primer on it. SO I just DA'd all the color off I could take off. Took it down with 180 Paper I think. Cleaned it very well so it had no dust in it's pours and started adding the skin. The back corners like over the tail light housing extensions. You just take a razor blade slice it and over lap so as the wind can't get under the leading edge. Smooth as much as possible Then the bubbles that I could not squeegee out I took a pin & popped . None of them have caused any problems . The instruction said to just set the bubbles in the sun . But wanted faster gratification.
.... I hope this advise helps some one .. Oh & My kit cost me about $500.00.. Much cheaper than a paint job. & I've still got scraps that I used from time to time.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Here's a link to a shop in STL, they do stuff for BigFoot and Tailgator monster trucks, STL Cardinals, Six Flags....way more than I can tell you. I know the owner of the shop with crewing for the Tailgator Monster truck. They do a great job but it's not cheap either.

Here's a link to their website...
http://www.vinylimagesinc.com/

Attachments

• Indy Jamboree Sept. 21-23.2007 074.jpg
    Indy Jamboree Sept. 21-23.2007 074.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
T

TAC71

That's the kind of input I was looking for. I never thought it would be better than paint, but it is cheaper and you can change it out fairly easily. My current paint is fairly damaged and I am just weighing the options. The wraps have come a long ways in the last few years.
Thanx PaPITT for the info, we have similar brush here, most of our good trails grow over in spring and it takes some time for them to get pushed back.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
TAC71: OK IF MINE IS WHAT you were asking about I'll tell a little more.
..There are several different kind of this material. I think they were selling it in the Cabela's mag. & that other one Sportsmans Choice but I'll bet Flea Bay has it also. Maybe even Bass Pro... 1ST ONE I saw was at Hunter Extravaganza It was a Bronco II but it was in a Corn Stalk design. Mine is much smoother than that one.
...... Mine has gone to New Mexico on one hunting trip. Out there we just make our on roads over about 30,000 acres. While there making our own roads We have been in the Cedar Break 15 or 20 foot tall cedars with a 4 ft gap between them . Just push your ride right on through for 4 days. You may have to go through 500 yards to get to another open flat or Mesa then you may can drive for 30 minutes in mostly open ground to hunt .
........ By the way a gps is necessary to return home at dark.

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are before and after shots of a DIY wrap. Because of the flame wrap you have to be up close to see all of the trail damage.

Attachments

• IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4165.jpg
    IMG_4165.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 73

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Scottsdale AZ, home of all the worthy auto auctions and I've seen more 6 figure cars wrapped than not. It's a way for the rich to have their lime green Lambo one year, then pull the crap color off and sell it as new paint next year.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... i'M STILL here .. I had to watch that 3rd one 3 times never saw a Bronco.
...2019 & Mine is still looking good & as I wrote in 2014, mine was 7 years old then . SO I GUESS mine is 12 years old now.
I surprised that mine is still in Great Shape. Tree limb have not damaged it .. Time in the Sunlight has done a lot more damage .. But it's not faded bad for 12 years.
...Mine goes through Brush on the farm each trip It goes to the pasture. If you get up at 3 ft you can see some scratches but That not bad. I've got 550.00 bucks in my wrap much less that a medium paint job.