• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

full size D44 high pinion swap?

ashuss

Loc.
Littleto CO
Has anyone swaped in a D44 high pinion, from a full size bronco. Is it worth the trouble, or should I hold out for a D60 high pinion. I have a 76 D44 with chromo axles 4.88's and a detroit. But my drive line will binde at full droop.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am swapping a HP44 from a 78 right now, should be done in a week. I would like to put in a 60 but I think I will be fine with the wheeling I will be doing for a while.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I had the same driveline issue so I went to 78-79 HPD44. I narrowed it to EB width using the BCB WAH. If you go this route you can still use the axles and detroit from your current D44. You just need to get a new ring and pinion.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
It's a good swap depending on the motor. I agree with the HP narrowed with the WAH. If you run a 351w you will have clearance issues between the d-shaft and the oil pan. It should clear if you run a 302.

doran4x

Contributor
Go with the H.P. D44 unless you are doing some serious wheeling. The narrowed Dana with a WAH is great and bolts right in.

Tom

OP
OP
A

ashuss

Loc.
Littleto CO
Thanks for the reply's. Does anyone know if a high pinion D44 is stronger than the low pinion. I know thats the case with the D60.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the reply's. Does anyone know if a high pinion D44 is stronger than the low pinion. I know thats the case with the D60.

Yes...since the ring and pinion are reverse cut, they are stronger in a front axle application when compared to a low-pinion Dana 44. Axle shafts, housings, ball-joints, etc are all the same, but your ring and pinion are stronger.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
If you can find a pre 78 housing with the welded on c's or 78-79 F250 D44 the axle tubes are thicker, but there isn't a WAH available to narrow them, so they have to be narrowed the normal ways. If you go full width the c's can be moved any where you want. Although the tubes usualy aren't the weak link in front axles. The main advantage of the 60 is the shaft and u-joint size.

67u13

Loc.
austin texas
you can install a full width and pull the radius arms in at the back to make them fit into the factory holes or extend the radius arms 12". I pulled them in tighter together with a ratchet strap and bolted them in then removed the strap. You will need to get a different track bar though as the EB bar is too short and the full size is too long. I made one out of 1.5" O.D. Pipe

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I have a HP44 center section on my original bronco tubes. I just recently found the reciept and it was less than $200 to pull my tubes from both axles and put the bronco ones in the HP center. So I used all of my original brakes/axles etc and ended up with a HP bronco front. Now that was 5 years ago so prices may have gone up but I still recommend it. Lots of people narrow it but I have yet to see someone else do it this way and I'm not sure why since the concept is very simple.

PS I have a 4.5 lift, 351, and HP and havent had any clearance issues. If you have less lift you could possibly

Revelation

Bronco Guru
The main advantage of the 60 is the shaft and u-joint size.

I thought I saw somewhere that had a kit to swap in D-60 axles into a D-44. Can't remember the vendor. Then the 44 is as strong as the 60

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought I saw somewhere that had a kit to swap in D-60 axles into a D-44. Can't remember the vendor. Then the 44 is as strong as the 60

??? Ignoring the fact that there is not the physical clearance at the knuckle for the D60 axle yokes...what kind of axle or carrier option would mate the 35-spline D60 axles with a carrier (whose?) that fits in a D44 housing?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
That's why I thought I saw a conversion somewhere, I beleive it had a new carrier and axles, sized the same as the 60. Can't remember what Mag it was in, maybe 4Wheel and Off Road

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I believe that they now make a 35 spline carrier for a 44.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Come on you guys..I must have missed that article, so you HAVE to provide pics and links..an I'll hound ya till you do;D Reason I say that is ...I run HP44 in my main trail rig and have built them for others..I like that axle. So ...