• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fusible link help (early Christmas)

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Looks like I got an early Christmas gift today.....I'm going to be unwrapping wires! Pretty sure the 16g fusible link burnt today in my 68 with the original wiring harness. I have no power to anything..no cranking, no radio, no lights, no heater fan, nothing!

I limped it home with a jumper wire to the coil and started it with a screwdriver. Any of you that have seen some of my previous post know that I'm not that good with electrical so I am seeking advice. Here goes:
- How close is the fusible link to the positive side of the starter relay?
- Is it a thickened, short portion of wire, or just a length of wire?
- Depending on the answer above how do I repair it? Use an exact same length of 16g fusible link?

Honestly, I don't even know if I'm asking the correct questions! I am going to start peeling back wire tape tomorrow morning to see what I can find.

You advice is much appreciated,
Tyler

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Mine is close to the relay.
It has a rubber tag on it that says fusible link.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Mine is close to the relay.
It has a rubber tag on it that says fusible link.

same here, you can get them at the auto parts stores.
you might want to double check things as why it burnt, a direct short somewhere.
mine was because someone was installing a radio and needed a ground wire. screw went right through the harness under the dash:-[

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another area that can do this is the large Black wire (same wire we're talking about at the relay actually) behind the ammeter in the cluster. If the connector there has rusted or failed you will lose all power. It's the same wire as the fusible link, so will chop power to the whole truck if it fails.

If it turns out to be the fusible link and you have added bigger loads to your electrical system you could probably upgrade to a 14ga version safely. But wait for someone like Viper or Steve to comment on that. It's generally considered bad form to recommend going up in fuse size. Like putting a 22 casing in your fuse panel in place of a blown fuse!%)

Were you doing anything before this happened? Or just driving?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think Steve has some service bulletins on how to replace one, but the ones I've seen blow tend to melt right there at the relay post under the battery cable. Right at the ring-terminal.
Those will leave quite a bit of good wire to work with, so should be easy enough to crimp/solder/seal the new section to the old for the fix.

Easy to find the new ones on those spinner racks at most parts stores with all the wiring goodies on them. A section will have three or four different versions/styles with different ratings. You'll find GM and Ford, and any will work. But I like the look of the Ford ones better anyway, and they keep it clean and easy to replace.

Good luck. More wiring fun!

Paul

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Thanks all. I'm about to start digging into it.

Paul, to answer your question the only load that has been added to the harness is a din stereo. It has been in it since I purchased the vehicle about two years ago. I drove it to check on a job, had no problems, shut her down, and when I was ready to leave it fired right up and then died before I could even get it in gear.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
In this pic is the fusible link the fat black piece right at the relay terminal (disconnected). It's melted some but both the black/red stripe and yellow wire connected to it still Ohm out when I check it about 6" from the terminal.

If that's not the fusible link can you point me in the correct direction please.

Attachments

• DSC01637.jpg
    DSC01637.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 104

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
So yours doesn't have that rubber tag on it huh?

Maybe mine is one of those aftermarket wires Paul mentioned.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach

No, what you see is all I have. I can't find anything on that fat black connector either, but obviously part of it is melted. Could those wire still Ohm out, but not be able to carry any draw? Please excuse any mis-use of terms...I truly have no idea!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Enlighten me those in the know... did ALL Bronco's come with fusible links or what year did Ford start using a "fusible link" in a Bronco wiring harness?

thanks

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
In you all's opinion do you see a fusible link in my harness???

I just looked at my 76 for reference and I can't find a fusible link on it either.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Looks like I may need to change the title! If I do have a fusible link it is not burnt. I have confirmed full voltage at the big connector on the firewall side plug. See image. Now what???? Maybe disconnect that male/female connector near the ammeter and see if I have power there?

Thank you all for your help. It's very much appreciated!

Tyler

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 54

nvrstuk

Contributor
Track whatever your +12v hot wire to your key and ammeter is---remember, your rig is decades old and who knows who did what to the wiring and just start tracking it with a test light!!

Doesn't matter much what the wiring diagram says, just track that 12volts from the battery and see where it stops!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Your problem is your fusible link wire. There are a couple different kinds. Some have a blue / black wire that comes off the voltage regulator harness on the inner fender close to the battery and the starter solenoid. Others have a black / blur wire that leads to a rubbery block. about 3/4'' x 1/2''. This is the link. cut the wire out and replace with an inline fuse. I have not seen the one behind the dash. I do have a 76 wiring PDF if you send me an e mail. it shows it pretty clearly.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Easy fix. I did it in a parking lot once. Just driving along and nothing???

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Enlighten me those in the know... did ALL Bronco's come with fusible links or what year did Ford start using a "fusible link" in a Bronco wiring harness?

thanks

not sure but my 75 had one

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I drove it to check on a job, had no problems, shut her down, and when I was ready to leave it fired right up and then died before I could even get it in gear.

One very possible explanation for that is that the alternator started putting out way too much current and the link fried to save the wires.

In this pic is the fusible link the fat black piece right at the relay terminal (disconnected). It's melted some but both the black/red stripe and yellow wire connected to it still Ohm out when I check it about 6" from the terminal.

Yes, that's it. And yes, it's fried.
A failed link might still ohm out because the current required to get a resistance reading is minuscule by any standard. As soon as something really tries to work offf that current (such as a lamp or motor or relay) there just isn't enough to work the load.

Pretty sure that at least most Fords did not use a tag in the early years. And while I've seen them on Broncos and later trucks, there was really no way for me to know if they were original or replacements. But up to at least the early to mid seventies they were tagless in my experience.

I can't find anything on that fat black connector either, but obviously part of it is melted. Could those wire still Ohm out, but not be able to carry any draw?

Exactly right. And melted it melted no matter what. It takes quite a bit of heat to melt this type of rubber/plastic material, so that was created basically by a melting wire.
Very hot stuff...

Yes to at least after '66. Supposedly they were even on '66's and as far as I know were in use before that. But I have seen '66's without the links too, but with no way to tell if they were unmolested or not.
A member here (gddyap) has a '66 that, while the harness looked factory fresh, didn't even have a fuse panel!
He re-wired it thankfully, so now it has full protection. But at the time he bought it there were only some old inline fuses and no fuse panel on the firewall where it would have been expected.
Either it was very professionally re-done without it, or it was a Ford experiment! Even cars and trucks from 50 years before had fuses after all. No reason for Ford to try to work without. But it was really strange to see and made for some interesting conversations.

Looks like I may need to change the title! If I do have a fusible link it is not burnt. I have confirmed full voltage at the big connector on the firewall side plug. See image. Now what???? Maybe disconnect that male/female connector near the ammeter and see if I have power there?

Yes, but not really needed yet. Fix the melted end at the starter relay and then check for power at the connector. As you've already found out you can measure voltage after the failed point (because there's no heavy current draw from a volt-meter.
It is strange of course, and will mess with your mind. And it may very well turn out that there is plenty of capacity available and the break is somewhere else. But like I said, melted is melted so you need to fix it just in case. Even if it's not the main problem, it's a problem nonetheless.

Thinking about it though, you might as well pull that connector apart anyway to check it's condition. It would not do to fix the main break only to find out this connector is rusty and ready to fall apart. I've seen that happen and it's not a good idea to let that much resistance midway up the wire build up to the point it could cause more trouble still.
Such as another blown fusible link!

Just so you know what you're dealing with, that Black w/yellow wire that comes off the back of the alternator, and the Black w/red wire that comes off the starter relay, and the large Black wire next to the ammeter with the connector, ARE ALL THE SAME WIRE in a Bronco. It's one big long loop.
That's how the alternator charges the battery, and how the battery powers everything when the engine is off.
Hopefully that helps make more sense out of this stuff.

Oh, and the Yellow wire there is likely for the voltage regulator's "A" terminal where it measures battery voltage so the regulator knows how much current to tell the alternator to produce.
There would be another Yellow wire directly to the starter relay on '74 and later EB's, but that one is for the horn relay and is a little larger gauge I think. But they're both Yellow and can confuse things a bit when looking at a diagram.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Well, maybe I really did get an early Christmas gift!

NVRSTUK,
I took your advice first on checking voltage further down the line. First place I checked was the furthest, at the alternator clip, and it was significantly lower so I decide to pull apart the connector at the ammeter and check there. Got full voltage there. Put the connector back together and now everything works again, and of course there is full voltage at the alternator clip too.

I'm happy, but still seems odd. I'm just surprised that at least the radio or lights did not work when I was getting lower voltage. Once again...electrical stuff is tricky for me.

Hey Paul,
I always appreciate your advice. Along those lines I never did get the cluster working in my Mustang....another electrical problem! Anyhow, new owner took on that challenge.

Thanks to you all, and I hope I got lucky!
Tyler

nvrstuk

Contributor
Glad you're up and running!! :)