• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FW axles vs EB Standard

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have been given a front 44 and rear 9" from a 79 F150. I am sure the swap has been done before but would like to hear pros and cons of swapping the FW axles for the standard width. Also, how much is involved in the swap?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
You can check my build, I took mine out of a 78 Bronco. Click in the Project 70 Stretch in my sig for the buildup. I'm really happy with my swap.

basher13

Loc.
East of Renton
Just nearing the end on my FW swap, the rear axle was a matter of moving the spring pads and shock mounts. The front on mine is failry easy, I've got Cage long arms so I haven't moved the C bushings just redrilled the lower spring cups to rid some of the bow. Now if I can just figure out my steering and trac bar set up...

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
Just nearing the end on my FW swap, the rear axle was a matter of moving the spring pads and shock mounts. The front on mine is failry easy, I've got Cage long arms so I haven't moved the C bushings just redrilled the lower spring cups to rid some of the bow. Now if I can just figure out my steering and trac bar set up...

For steering linkage try either Performance Unlimited or Stonecrusher steering. All good stuff, simple, and greaseless.

Is that 79 F150 front axle a high pinion unit?

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have not picked them up yet. I have to go look at it. Didn't all F150 come with HP 44 in 79?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Is that 79 F150 front axle a high pinion unit?

Yes, it's a high-pinion.

As for the difficulty of the swap, that'll depend on a few things. How much suspension lift do you have? You could run into a few clearance issues if you're running less than 3.5" of lift. Are you running long-tube headers? Manual or automatic? Which auto? Obviously, with the high-pinion D44, you've got a lot more going on in a relatively small area with respect to the driveshaft, axle housing, oil pan, headers, and steering/track bar components.

I've got some axles from a '76 F150 just waiting for the time and space to be installed, so I'll be watching this thread.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I plan on at least a 3.5" lift. I have long tube headers but have not installed them yet. Currently running a C4 but would like to consider a AOD or something with an overdrive in the future.

Will it be necessary to relocate the wedges for the C bushings or will the radius arms reach in enough to use the factory location on the full with axle?

Would still like to hear some opinions on what the pros and cons are of swapping to full width axles.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I would sell the long tube headers before you install them or return them if you can. They will mot work with the full width. You'll need to get some shorties and most likely have to run the drivers side exhasut tube under the tranny to the passenger's side in order to clear the front driveline. You'll probably have to move the wedges in if you plan on staying with factory arms.
See my build thread in my sig for pics....

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I installed a set of '77 FW axles in mine last summer. That front axle had teh welded wedges so I cut them loose and relocated them inboard to reduce the spring bow.

Overall, I like the change. I get a much more stable feeling in off-camber situations and the rear housing is a stronger case. I cracked the welded cover on my stock banjo housing several times. I can buy a complete FW front axle for a lot less than an average front disk brake conversion kit too.

There are some disadvantages. I never had a problem with my front driveline angle bacause my front driveline is relatively long. The HP front actually caused me a lot of interferences between my drivers side exhaust an the driveline. I have also come across a few instances where the wider axle made it hard to follow my friends through an obstacle. Sometimes that narrow track is better and sometimes it isn't.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From what I have read on other threads the 79 wedges are cast into the tube and not welded. That is going to make moving the wedges inward not an option. Not sure what will be the best way to mount. Anyone else have any experience with installing a 79 FW HP44? How about ujoints, are they the same size as stock yoke? How about steering?

I'm not sure what the over all increase in length over the stock 44 is (WMS to WMS) but it does not seem like enough to make a big difference on trails. I have been on a few in CO (Jenny Creek and Upper Iron Chest) that may not FW friendly but have seen other rigs with fW60's on them. Seems like the Disk brakes and more stable stance would be a big advantage. A little worried about the clearance problems now though.

Amac70

ME
fw is about 6" widers. axle u joints are bigger 297x compared to the bronco 260x. pinion yoke should be the same.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Basher, did the cage long arms make using the original wedge location possible? Are the cage long arms made for installing FW or will any long arm work?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Thats what I did, my wedges didnt get moved, I used the Cage arms. Any lengthened arm will help, if the wedges stay, it might be difficult to get the stock arms to bolt up to the axle due to the angle out. The Cage arms help out because they are angled and allow for more tire clearance which you would lose with stock or straight arms.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Tito. I'm going to try to pick up the axle this weekend so I can look them over. They will bave to be cleaned up and gone through but that would be necessary for gear and carrier change anyway. If the look good enought to use, I will start looking for a set of extended arms.

basher13

Loc.
East of Renton
Yeah what Tito said, the Cage arms are worth the money. I got excited and installed the axles with out any clean up or gear change. With everything in I was able to work out rear shock mounts and be able to weld'm in without laying upside down. I was also wanting to see how much my springs bowed and what to do about them. For me I can read all about it, but sometimes I have to see it in front of me to understand, I understand now. My lower spring mounts will just get redrilled and moved in.
So now they come back out, get cleaned up, final welded and some gear changes.
Is it normal to go out and look at your bronco to make sure it still looks like a BMF?