• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Garage Floor Epoxy ??'s

OP
OP
T

turbotim2

I'm not sure how/if heat would affect it but I doubt it will hurt anything.

Yea, I would doubt it too, the floor is barely warm to the touch when fully heated.

I am probably not going to do much welding or grinding in the garage anymore with out blankets. Too many people around have burned down their garages and it makes me nervous. If it was a metal building I might but not a wood frame garage that is attached to my house. As long as the coating can withstand traffic and the occaisional oil spill, that will be good with me!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yea, I would doubt it too, the floor is barely warm to the touch when fully heated.

I am probably not going to do much welding or grinding in the garage anymore with out blankets. Too many people around have burned down their garages and it makes me nervous. If it was a metal building I might but not a wood frame garage that is attached to my house. As long as the coating can withstand traffic and the occaisional oil spill, that will be good with me!

Sheetrock is a wonderful fire retardant, just saying... ;D

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
The epoxy is the best thing we have ever done in the garage!! Right up there with a 80 gallon compressor!!

And we dont have plastic under our slab, and we weld, cut, etc on that floor. We beat the piss out of our floor and it look great still. We dont worry about trashing it because we just plan on redoing it every 6 or 8 years.

We used two part rustolium both times we did ours. In fact we also did the basement floor in the laundry room!

Completely or nearly clearing out an entire garage every 6 or so years to do the floors sounds sensless. Why not do one quality install that will last you 20+ years.

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
I've had a buddy do two shop floors for me. One floor was old concrete which are the pics I posted. Hands and knees grind down the whole floor then 2 coats of 2 part epoxy. The other shop we did was new concrete, let cure for 30 days. Also on hands and knees grinding down new concrete. Both floors turned out wonderful.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 27

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
RockSolid Polyurea Garage Coat is a nice product, it's not epoxy it is Polyurea like Line-X or Rhino, it is not a 2 part heated Polyurea, which the beadliners are but it is strong none the less. In my opinion it is far better than the epoxy products.

Hey - this RockSolid sounds amazing! I have done the Sam's Club SuperCoat system in my last 3 homes and loved the product, finish, colors, chips, install, etc. BUT the Rock Solid says Otis 20 times stronger, endless pot life, easier install, walk on 4 hours, drive on 24 hours. Sounds great and may use this on my next one.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
The only way you're going to get a commercial company that specializes in epoxie finishes to warranty the finish is to as said get on your hands and knees and grind it with a diamond grinding wheel or shot blast it. So if you're using a do it yourself product, roughen of the surface has to be the number one thing to do to have any chance of long term success.

As said earlier PREP is the key, be it painting or tile the surface has to be abrated.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Hey - this RockSolid sounds amazing! I have done the Sam's Club SuperCoat system in my last 3 homes and loved the product, finish, colors, chips, install, etc. BUT the Rock Solid says Otis 20 times stronger, endless pot life, easier install, walk on 4 hours, drive on 24 hours. Sounds great and may use this on my next one.

I have used it on two floors it is every bit as strong as the claims. It is a good system.

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
As talked about above, I researched the Garage Journal website and discovered Legacy Industrial. I have just completed building my shop and I wanted to coat it. I wanted the look of natural concrete and protected with a tough clear coat. My slab has a vapor barrier and I used Legacy Industrials Epoxy Clear Sealer and then applied their Urethane Clear Coat. I cleaned it with the scrubber, then acid etched it, re-scrubbed it, applied the sealer and then the urethane. I'm very pleased with the results. It looks slick, but it really isn't.

Attachments

• ConcreteFinish-04.jpg
    ConcreteFinish-04.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 16
  • ConcreteFinish-09.jpg
    ConcreteFinish-09.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Lift-4.jpg
    Lift-4.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 21