• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas issue at carb when using auxiliary tank

clinem03

Whenever I use my aux tank I end up having a fuel issue at the carb (I think it’s the float needle getting jammed up but haven’t confirmed as it’s intermittent) where it still gives the engine gas but it also sprays fuel all over the top of the manifold. It only happens when I switch from my main tank to my aux tank. Any idea what the issue might be?

Mostly stock 302, 2bbl motorcraft 2150, non-eth fuel

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Maybe restriction (fuel pickup sock) between main tank and tank selection valve is limiting fuel flow to carb and masking issues that appear when you have normal pressure from aux tank?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or maybe, even though not capable of rusting, the aux tank is certainly capable of gunking up over the years. Especially if the previous owners (or are you the PO?) never ran the aux tank.
I know back then it wasn't unusual for someone to keep the "spare" tank full, but almost never use it. Keeping it strictly for reserve duties.
Or with today's modern fuels, you would not have to do that for very long for some buildup to happen.
Does it go away immediately as soon as you switch back to the main tank? Or do you have to go through other motions to get it running correctly again?

OR, another or... Maybe that same sock filter that Oldtimer mentioned is simply deteriorated to the point that bits and pieces of it are being delivered to the carburetor along with the fuel.
At this point, if it's anything like that, then you're pretty lucky that it goes away when you switch back to the main tank.
Personally, I would normally just run the aux tank dry and then remove and clean it. But in your case since it's way too consistently puking fuel on your engine, I would drain it by other means and then remove it. Check for deterioration of the sending unit and fuel filter. Visually inspect it for a film on the interior and clean it if possible.
And even then I would probably put an additive in the gas at the next fill up (both tanks maybe!) and use it to dissolve the last bits and maybe even clean the carburetor.

But you may end up having to pop the top off the carburetor anyway, just to clean out anything left in the bowl.

It should not normally in practive be something like one tank building up pressure and then push it through the pump to the carb, but you can verify/guarantee it's not the issue by simply removing the gas cap before the next time you try using the aux tank.
If you feel a rush of air come out, or if the problem goes away, that might have been at least part of it.
But gunk sticking the needle off the seat in the float bowl would act just like over-pressurizing the system. Gas will get paste the needle-n-seat either way.
What would be surprising is if it goes away as soon as you switch back to the main tank. Usually gunk remains until you clear it, or drive it enough to clear it.
If it's pressure however, that would certainly clear up as soon as you switched tanks.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Thanks guys! You gave me some good things to look into this week.