• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas Lines Routing Help; Dual Tank '77

redvettemike

Contributor
I've done some searching here w/o much success trying to find out how the gas lines ran on a stock '77 with dual tanks (they might all have had dual tanks). I have a 3 piece set of new lines but need some help on how to run them. Do they run on the inside of the driver frame rail? Anyone have a few pictures? Thanks. Mike

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just a line up from the ear gas tank on the driver side frame rail to the tank selector valve, rubber line from the aux tank to the tank selector valve and then one line out of the valve to the engine compartment inside the driver s frame rail to about the front cross member.
If you don't have the blue clips anymore that held the fuel lines follow the holes that are drilled in the frame where they used to be .

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
Here is a photo of how I think the front line should run. Doesn't look like it fits exactly correct. Guess we will have to bend it some.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
Vapor Canister Placement

I bought a used vapor canister for the '77 we are working on. I see from photos on this site that these canisters generally were placed on the firewall on pass side. The new metal vent tube from the tanks, however ends up toward the front of the pass inner fender. Were some of these canisters placed there? Tks for any help.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I bought a used vapor canister for the '77 we are working on. I see from photos on this site that these canisters generally were placed on the firewall on pass side. The new metal vent tube from the tanks, however ends up toward the front of the pass inner fender. Were some of these canisters placed there? Tks for any help.

Rubber from metal vent line up to charcoal canister.

The roll-over check valve is hard to find so make sure it doesn't get lost, broken, etc

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
sorry I do not have a bunch of pictures to make this simple...

The main line from the selector valve to the Drivers side engine bay looks good in your picture. There is a metal line mounted inboard on the frame from the rear tank to the selector valve, there are no metal lines from the side tank to the selector valve, just fuel hose.

The 1/4" vapor line from the rear tank runs outboard on the frame up to a location under the Pass door. A metal 1/4" vapor line runs from the side tank, attached to and across the body to the pass door. On the frame there is a plastic check valve with a metal mounting bracket. This valve is obsolete so do not lose it. Someone did post that the deLorian cars used the same valve and it was available from them) The two lines from the tanks connect before the check valve with a metal tee. (2 fittings pointed to: the rear, and forward) A single line runs forward, outboard on the frame up to the Pass side of the engine compartment. It angles upward between the space in the Pass wheel well and the fire wall. A section of 1/4" fuel hose makes the connection to the CC. I have not seen the 76-77 CC mounted anywhere else than the pass firewall.

On my Federal emission 1977 EB, the CC had one mushroom cap and the other opening had the large emission hose attached that went to the air cleaner assembly. There were two 1/4 inlets, one used by the vapor line from the tanks. The other was either capped or there was a line that went from that port to the Autolight 2V carb fuel bowl vent.

I hope some of this helps...

Attachments

• Emissions Hose.JPG
    Emissions Hose.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 63
  • C-Canister.JPG
    C-Canister.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Carb front.JPG
    Carb front.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 66
  • R-side floor pan.JPG
    R-side floor pan.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
904: Thanks. Can you tell me where that silver hose goes on the air cleaner assembly? I do see where the canister is placed on the firewall.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
904: Thanks. Can you tell me where that silver hose goes on the air cleaner assembly? I do see where the canister is placed on the firewall.

Hose goes here on the air cleaner assembly, on the red fitting in second picture.
Fitting is obsolete but can be found on other Ford vehicles of that era. (In CA it is hard to find the older cars.)

Attachments

• P1010277.jpg
    P1010277.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Cowl ready to replace.JPG
    Cowl ready to replace.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
Here is a photo of the gas lines. (I have them stuck up there with some masking tape). Looks like this kit has a hard line for the aux tank. tks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
904: One more question: is that the stock location for the radiator overflow tank? Tks.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My original '77 steel fuel line extends to a point under the middle of the steering shaft U-joint. The plastic charcoal canister in 904's is in the correct position. The bottom sits on a ledge stamped into the back of the wheel well. The adapter for the aluminum vapor hose in the back of the air cleaner should be black not red. I've seen several and they were all black. Only trucks equipped with overflow tanks had holes in the top of the wheel well for the tank hold down strap. I plan to install mine oriented with the hose pointed more at the radiator to keep it straighter. So I'm glad there's no existing holes.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
My original '77 steel fuel line extends to a point under the middle of the steering shaft U-joint. The plastic charcoal canister in 904's is in the correct position. The bottom sits on a ledge stamped into the back of the wheel well. The adapter for the aluminum vapor hose in the back of the air cleaner should be black not red. I've seen several and they were all black. Only trucks equipped with overflow tanks had holes in the top of the wheel well for the tank hold down strap. I plan to install mine oriented with the hose pointed more at the radiator to keep it straighter. So I'm glad there's no existing holes.

I never saw what the original adapter color was, mine was missing. I found this one in a passenger car. I had looked a while to find it, so I was not too picky. Once the flex hose goes on it pretty well covered the adapter and it met the requirements of the Smog Tech doing the Bi-annual smog.
I am not sure what was worse... Finding all the pieces for the original Bronco smog equipment to make it legal or doing the conversion to EFI and making that legal in the eyes of CA.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Smog inspections here only involve a check list of items. I don't think the inspectors here even know what a carb is. I'd love to see what Cal. inspectors are trained to look for. Do they have photos or diagrams of all the smog equipment they are looking for? Do they check to see if actually functions?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Smog inspections here only involve a check list of items. I don't think the inspectors here even know what a carb is. I'd love to see what Cal. inspectors are trained to look for. Do they have photos or diagrams of all the smog equipment they are looking for? Do they check to see if actually functions?

I could write a novel on my experiences at the CA DMV test stations. 1st getting smog legal with the carb so I could register a vehicle that had been sitting in a driveway for two years because it was missing equipment. The inspector struggled with finding the correct emissions routing diagram... Until I provided mine to him. The rig was dyno'd and did not pass because the card had dirt in it. So I came back after rebuilding it. It passed the low and high speed tests, but the fuel tanks gas caps failed the vacuum test, so two new caps...
The EFI conversion... I had to deal with the smog Referee, everything that rig was tested on was based off the 1988 ECU. Mine was a manual trans and the ECU had to be for the manual trans or they would not test it. I had to have a letter from the tank manufacturer stating the replacement fuel tank meet or exceeded the 1988 fuel tank standards. Because the vacuum routing diagram said there was a vacuum reservoir, I had to have it. Even though it served no purpose what-so-ever for smog. There could be no codes enter on the ECU... Lets just say I learned a lot, there was no arguing. I provided the documentation and installed a dual exhaust with 4 cats as what came with a CA cert emission 1988 mustang, with a manual trans...
I was given my CA cert sticker. Would I do it again here in the Bay area, probably not. I have talked with others in the state and they tell different stories related to their experience doing the same thing.