• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

gas tank cleaning and sealing question

marc

Loc.
milwaukie,or.
i've been following the restore or replace thread. bosshoff mentioned the guys at KBS make a three part product for cleaning and sealing tanks. if anybody knows any thing about this stuff, like where to get it and how much it costs i would appreciate any info. thanks.
MARC.

frdbronco73

I took my tank to a radiator shop. they clean the inside and out, bake it, pressure test for leaks and solder. $20

rharrell

Loc.
Benton, LA
I just bought a tank sealer kit from POR-15. Looks pretty straight forward. I'll let you know how it works. I got it from the POR website for about $80.

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
You paid $20 for that? I just dropped mine off for the same process and was quoted 200. I called 4 different radiator shops in the area and they were all the same.

Matt

I took my tank to a radiator shop. they clean the inside and out, bake it, pressure test for leaks and solder. $20

cesco

go to your local motorcycle shop and ask for Kreem products. i have used this stuff and it works great. it comes with a cleaner, etching, and sealer. takes some time to do.

Attachments

• BC0108C0794.jpg
    BC0108C0794.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 14

bosshoff

Contributor
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/Tank-Sealers_c_7-1-0.html

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else was interested. (I replied to a PM from Marc last week.) there is also a coupon code in the mass buy section for 10% off. BTW, I have NOTHING to do with KBS. I just used to order from them when they were the "POR-Store" and then when they changed to KBS, I kept doing business with them. Also $57.00 bucks aint bad for the kit for a full size gas tank which includes the cleaner/degreaser, etcher, and sealer and some gloves.

Last edited:

Itsa67

I second the vote for the Kreem product for motorcycle tanks...I have had great luck with it and it comes with a cleaner/etcher and the sealer that prevents corrosion and fills pinholes. If you think about how expensive a custom motorcycle paintjob is and the fact that a pinhole will allow the paint to be eaten off from the inside out you will understand my endorsement.

wickedwelder

Loc.
Morenci, AZ
I've seen a tank resealer kit from www.Eastwood.com that sells for about $50 One of the guys I work with used it and said it worked pretty good. I havent got that far into my build to try it yet. They also have alot of body work tools, frame paints, rust sealers...etc. Check them out if you get the chance. I think you can even order their catalog for free.

Ohio Bill

Loc.
Riverside, OH
I've seen a tank resealer kit from www.Eastwood.com that sells for about $50 One of the guys I work with used it and said it worked pretty good. I havent got that far into my build to try it yet. They also have alot of body work tools, frame paints, rust sealers...etc. Check them out if you get the chance. I think you can even order their catalog for free.

Ditto
I have used Eastwood several times their kit is great. You can go to their site and sign up for regular e-mails and specials.