• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas tank cleaning

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I need to clean out my tank, tired of replacing and cleaning out the filter. I just filled up the other day%) so it will be a little while before I do it. It's a 23 gal tank, at least it does have a drain plug. is there a good solvent to clean it out with? maybe a gallon of chemtool, suppose I could just us soap and water. it's getting a lot of sand and rust in it. I will be taking it out to clean though.

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Find a way to hang the tank from a tree so it's level, then add your solvent of choice, then add either some gravel or nuts & bolts and shake the hell out of it, dump it out, rinse it and do it again and again until it rinses clean...then flip it upside down and do the same thing...then of course let it dry completely. Gas tanks take work unless you want to take it to a radiator shop and let them clean it and coat it for $200

RichM1983

Loc.
Elkview, WV
I have to do something similar on my project. I am a ways away from worrying about that at this point but what is the feasibility of filling it with water and cutting an access hole it to clean and then weld the hole back up? To dangerous to even try?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I have to do something similar on my project. I am a ways away from worrying about that at this point but what is the feasibility of filling it with water and cutting an access hole it to clean and then weld the hole back up? To dangerous to even try?

If you can cut it without making sparks then remove all traces of gasoline including vapors welding afterwards would be safe.

Filling it with an inert gas could help, dry ice is a cheap way to put CO2 in it.

01JLH

I just faced something similar but different. I had a 23 gal nw tank and needed an in-tank fuel injection pump. The P.O. Had buggered up the sending unit hole trying to put a sending unit in with a return. For the life of me i do not understand why he didn't just use one of the plugged off vent tubes on the side. He used a frame mounted lp and hp with accumulator.
Anyway, i went to a Tanks,Inc PA-4 conversion set up that turned out very nice. Not cheap, but now done right and it completely took out the buggered up mess. I put another proper sending unit in and all is well at about half the cost of a new tank.
If you go to their website, they have cover plates, reinforcing rings and anything like that to deal with automotive fuel systems. You could get a cover plate and ring with the same screw pattern as their in tank pump set up and if you ever needed an in tank pump you would be ready. Use the 4 inch hole as a clean out port.
Follow their suggestions on cleaning out the tank. Vacuum it out through the 4 inch hole as much as possible, then put a magnet inside along with a quart of WD40. Swish it around til you are tired and do it some more. You will be surprised at how much comes out. I just vacuumed mine out really good, then got to thinking about it and went back with a magnet and WD40. Got a full tablespoon of fine metal shavings.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Muriatic acid....but no matter the way you clean it, you MUST take it one step further and seal it or you're pissing into the wind. Get a gas tank repair kit which is an epoxy that seals the tank after cleaning. POR-15 sells one and so does several other companies.

Tim