• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gasket sealer on a carburetor

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
So, after bragging over in the chat forum about my successful carb rebuild yesterday, I notice this morning driving to work that my carb gaskets are still slightly leaking on the side of the accelerator pump and on the top plate gasket.

I snugged the screws as much as I can without stripping them and still they "weep" gas in two small areas. The leak at the acc. pump housing plate isn't really a leak, it "spays" a fine stream of gas when I hit the gas pedal hard to speed up. I noticed a hesitation/stumble in my acceloration coming up a hill and it prompted me to pull over and check things out. This is when I noticed my continuing problem. I took care not to knick the housing of the carb during my rebuild, BUT it appears there was some knicks in these areas from the PO which is probably why these areas are not sealing well.

My question is this: Can I use some type of tube gasket sealer to stop this leaking? If so, what do you recommend?

If not, what should I do to get these areas to seal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No on the sealer, sounds like the diaphram has a small split, try replacing it I have got new ones that had a small crack in them. If you have a small air angle grinder put a polishing wheel on it, I don't recall what the exact name for those wheels, they are the same as a scotch brite pad and can be bought in different textures, I get them at the auto body stores, 3m makes them, they have quick lock on/off so you can replace with a new one very easy, these things are a must for working on autos. You can take out the nikcs with that, they are also great for cleaning up surfaces to replace gaskets.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Sealants are a no on carbs but I've been in a tight spot where nothing I did would seal a gasoline leak on a threaded fitting, flare or gasket. I've taken a teeny bit of the old Permatex #2and just moistened the surface with it before putting it together. It's the only thing I've found to stand up to gasoline. I keep a tube in my "get me home" kit.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
You might depending of course where and how deep get by with using a small file to clean the knicks up. If possible use a double gasket, except of course at the diaphram. Check surfaces to make 100% positive all the old gasket material is cleaned off, razor blade may even work there or scotch brite.