• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauging Interest: 50th Extrusion

tymotor

I'm trying to gauge interest in another commemorative 50th Bronco item. To celebrate the Mustang's 50th, Ford had a commemorative aluminum piece made. They also did something similar when they relaunched the Ford GT. See pics for both.

It appears the Bronco isn't quite getting the same love from Ford, so I thought of doing my own. I've never done anything like this, so I'm learning as I go... and it turns out an extrusion die for this kind of item is waaaay more expensive than I had anticipated. I still like the idea of it, but I need some additional feedback on how much interest there would be, and if people would be willing to pony up.

Right now my best guess for a price tag after shipping is ~~$120. I know. Breathe. I had initially thought it could be a $40 item--oops. For what it's worth, the Mustang ones sell on eBay in the $200 range, and the GT ones sell for $2k (if this forum thread is to be believed).

I'd need to do a pre-order--similar to the badges, and there would have to be at least 200 buyers. Some tall hurdles to overcome, but I figured before giving up I would put it out there just in case.

Take a look at the design and leave your feedback, or vote in the poll. I tried working "50" into the Bronco itself, but it just wasn't looking right. The drawings have the two pieces as two different colors, but this is only to show contrast. The final product will be uniform.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 1232535.jpg
    1232535.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Mustang Example 1.jpg
    Mustang Example 1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Mustang Example 2.jpg
    Mustang Example 2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 117
  • GT Extrusion 1.jpg
    GT Extrusion 1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 121
  • GT Extrusion 2.jpg
    GT Extrusion 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
tymotor

tymotor

What are the approximate dimensions??

Still in flux but something in the 9 inches long x 3.5 inches wide and tall range. Originally it was going to be closer to 12 inches long, but it seems costs go up exponentially as the size increases linearly.

ren71

I've seen powdered metal 3D printers that can make something similar. No idea on price though, but may be another viable route. GE even made a functioning jet engine with a 3d printer!

Attachments

• jet.jpg
    jet.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 109
  • jet 2.jpg
    jet 2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 113

Mtgrizzlymn

I like the bronco plus if you could change the colors of the horse to match other colors

yewhi

Loc.
San Diego
It's cool. Price is just a little too high for a trinket that would collect dust sitting on my desk. Definitely cool though.

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
I voted to be in. I'm glad you posted the dimensions I was thinking something just a little larger then a hot wheels. That's really not a bad price for an extrusion that size