• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear Banger question

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
For those of you who are using a Gear Banger on their NP435. My shifter seems a little stiff. DO you have to tighten the bolt that holds the bracket to the collar that goes on what is left of the stock shifter? I tightened it quite a bit but it still moves, leading me to believ I might have to loosen it so it will move easier. Any ideas.

Attachments

• gearbanger3.jpg
    gearbanger3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 114
  • gearbanger1.jpg
    gearbanger1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 110

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
Put a tack weld on the collar that attaches the Gear Banger to the cut off 435 shifter. leave the bolts at the pivot points a little loose (not much) to allow an easy shift. As you use it, the pivot points will break in and things will get a bit easier.

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Ok, I did put two small tac welds on the collar, So I should loosen up the lower bolt a bit? Im not sure but I think the earlier models of the gear banger might not have had that bolt?

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Mine does not have that other bolt. Seems your shifter is cut a bit short as well. The taller the 435 shifter is cut, the more leverage you will get making it easier to shift. I cut mine so it just cleared the dash and it works well. I also tac weleded the attachment clamp as it popped off several times.

I added grease to the moving parts to help with the stiffness.

You can always buy a replacement 435 shifter and cut it higher.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Mine does not have that other bolt. Seems your shifter is cut a bit short as well. The taller the 435 shifter is cut, the more leverage you will get making it easier to shift. I cut mine so it just cleared the dash and it works well. I also tac weleded the attachment clamp as it popped off several times.

I added grease to the moving parts to help with the stiffness.

You can always buy a replacement 435 shifter and cut it higher.
X2 - Mine does not have the lower bolt either. As Broncoholic stated, if you leave the shifter taller, you get better leverage. I tried mine lower, but liked the feel much better with it up a couple of inches higher than what yours looks like. I have never had a problem with mine coming loose or popping off. I do check it occaisionally and make sure it's tight.

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I have a 1 inch body lift so I do have some leverage but it doesnt look like it. Im just not sure if that bottom bolt should be able to pivot or not, if not I would need to weld it to get it to not move.

trailbound

do not loosen that bottom bolt. The L shape needs to be rigid, now you can loosen the larger one above that to allow the bar to move a little free'r. In reality you just need to use it. Mine was stiff as all heck when i first installed it. A couple of long drives and it's all good. As far as the clamp mounting, that is all personal preference. Mine is clamped in (reminds me i should go tac that) right about where your is. I love the short throw, the higher your bracket the longer your throw.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
That lower bolt keeps moving or loosening itself when shifting, no matter how tight I make it.

If you are talking about the lower set collar, many weld those collars once they are in the correct location. Then the only bolt that could loosen would be the linkage shoulder bolt and it should have a lock nut to keep it from loosening and it should be just snug. If you get the shoulder bolt too tight it will be very difficult to shift.;)

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Here is what mine looks like with the different bracket (cheap cell phone shots)

Attachments

• shifter 1.jpg
    shifter 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 61
  • shifter2.jpg
    shifter2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 70
  • shifter3.jpg
    shifter3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 62

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
It's an easy fix. Replace the nut that keeps coming loose with a nylock nut, tighten it down until it shifts how you want it and you're done. It won't back off without a wrench or socket. You can get them a Lowe's for less than .50 cents a piece. I think they call them nylon insert nuts.

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
Like stated above. That first bolt needs to be holy cr@p tight, no movement. Yours is the first one like that that I have seen. The others snug, but not tight. My collar is almost as low as yours and it works well.

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
The nut is a nylock one, it still allows the bracket t move back and forth, giving the shifter a whole bunch of slop. I have never seen any of yours look like mine. I just got it from WH, i guess a new design, my directions even show picture like yours not mine.
I am just wondering if i should try to weld it to keep it from moving

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I never spoke to IronBender but I went ahead and used a stronger bolt with larger washers and a Non- nylock nut. I then welded it with a heavy weld and ground it nice and clean. I tried shifting the shifter and all is well. This thing really makes shifting the NP435 a dream. The single small bolt was too weak to keep from moving so you have to weld it securely.