• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear question after Aussie Locker install

kinder

Install went great and locker works great as well, but now I'm not certain about the gears. I always thought I had 3.50 gears since they seem to be the most common, the only thing that seemed odd was my rpm was higher than other posts I've read regarding gearing/speed/rpm combos. I wrote down the numbers from the ring gear: 4 30 73 DANA 18520 B3037 45-11 (and then etched 199) and I counted the number of teeth on the ring gear: 45 and on the pinion: 11 (matches the last set of numbers on the ring gear). So with all the numbers how can I tell if the ratio is 3.50 or ? I can also post my numbers for my speed/rpm/tire size combo after I run it to work tomorrow if that will help.

Thanks,
Kirk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
45 divided by 11 equeals 4.0909090909090909090909090909091

That axle is 4.10s.
The date code looks correct for your '73

But unless you really know the whole history of the rig, no telling what is in back. There is a nice write up in the tech section that with a piece of string and a little tape will tell you what you have in the back. It is probably 4.10s as well but you never know what someone may have done.

OP
OP
kinder

kinder

Thanks fellas, I'll check out that tech article since I plan on putting a limited slip in the rear, nothing seems to bind when I'm in 4 high or 4 low so I'm hopeful the gears match like they should.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You'd know real quick if the gearing between front and rear was different.