• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gears and lockers question

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
I have a local shop that is going to supply and install 456 gears and tru trac lockers in 9" big b in the back D44 in the front, I have never had the axles out
they want to know what spline count for each, I still have stock 350 gears, did they both come stock with 28 and 31 spline, do I just need to pull and count.
They want 200.00 to pull and count. Thanks in advance

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You have 28 spline. For there charge just to check spline count, find a better shop. Lots in az.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dana 44 is 30-spline if I'm not mistaken, whereas all of the Ford 9" EB axles are 28-spline. This would be the time to upgrade to 31-spline before you spend the money on a 28-spline Tru-Trac. I don't know what size tire you're running, but given the ram-assist steering, I'm going to guess 35's or bigger, so 31-spline should be considered mandatory anyway IMHO.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Suggestion. Buy a complete third member that has 31 spline with the gearing you want for the rear. Buy new axles (you can get them with bearings already installed), new seals and do the work yourself for the rear. Dropping in the new 3rd member is a no brainer, as is slipping in new axles. Then you just get the front D44 rebuilt (unless you want to try and tackle that as well). Would save you on labor, plus you know what you have when done.

That is the route I took with mine. Went with the 31 spline, trac lok. And I did rebuild the D44 myself, but that is more work for sure and does require some specialty tools. But installing the third member in the rear is just basic tools.

There are sites on the internet advertising third members for sale at reasonable prices.
Such as this site...

http://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-9-Complete-Center-Section-Third-Member_p_36.html

Summitracing typically has good prices on axles...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-ctflaxc31bbl/overview/

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a local shop set-up both front and rears with new gears and lockers. I believe setup (only) for the front was $200, maybe $250 if I gave them just the axle. I would recommend all new bearings and seals when going with a new differential but that's me. Hell, it's an awesome time to really clean the inside of the axle with a steam cleaner. My buddy back in the day said he cleaned all the oil he could out of the axle then took it to a carwash and just spent some time and coins on it.

Not to sound like I'm trying to spend your money but I went with chromoly front axles when I put the first locker in (Lock Right). I had three complete sets of axles and none of them were straight enough to accept new joints properly. It's really hard to not get into the "while I'm at it" mode which is how my mind works.

I normally don't ask people what something costs but with their price of $200 to pull an axle to count the splines I'm wondering what they want for the whole deal (differential, gears, bearings, seals)? My experience is that pulling an axle isn't hard at all but I've seen some fight them.

OP
OP
LOVNBRONCOS

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
I will have the quote in the morning for the complete install with new 31 spline axles in the 9" decided to do it while I was at it. It was actually 175 to pull front and back count and reinstall until parts arrive or I could just have them pull and count and leave my bronco there for 3 to 5 days until parts arrive with no extra cost, I just hate leaving it any where that long. the rough estimate was around 2300.00 less axles, 350. lbr for the front and same for the rear the rest is parts. I had price everything but the axles from summit and parts were around 1600.00

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Estimated labor doesn't sound unreasonable. I enjoy doing my own work, so if me I'd be buying the parts and doing it. But I am setup for the work. If you aren't, understandable to take it to a shop.

OP
OP
LOVNBRONCOS

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
I could do the rear but I have never tackled a gear, locker add in a 44 and time is a factor as it would take me a while and there would be this did I do it right in my head, so my thoughts were this way it is warrantied thru the shop if something goes wrong. I still haven't rec the quote and hope its within there rough estimate.

77RHINO

I recently regeared my rear to 456s, but I bought them long before install, and when I finally got them installed at a shop, they made it 5-600 miles before cupping a little on the outer part of the ring. They still function, but are incredibly loud, and the shop has had them in/out a couple times for free trying to get them quiet. They told me I could have returned them had it not been so long since purchase, so whatever you choose, buy your parts and install them immediately to prevent the warranty timeout! And when I get the new rear gearset, I will be going YUKON this time!

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Who's doing it for you. I had western differential do mine. I just took off the 3rd member my self and had them set up the locker and gears and it wasn't too expensive that way, but I took at my own parts. The dana 44 I dropped off by itself without the axles and it wasn't too expensive either.... maybe $200 or $250 each with my parts and my install kit

OP
OP
LOVNBRONCOS

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
I got a price from Tucson Diff it was 1600.00 per axle them supplying everything. I now have 3 prices 4x4 parts 2800.00 taxes inc. and 2950.00 from desert rat. Both labor cost were pretty close 350. per axle. This also includes new axles in the 9". I got to talk with the tech at 4x4 and was impressed. Still not sure what I am going to do

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I did this too. I bought a 3rd member and axles from Moser. Then axles, ring gear, Locker, U-joints, and gave a buddy my front housing to Install the new set up. Saved some cash and got what I wanted.