• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gen 1 Bronco hard top hoist for garage?

Uncut1968

I’ve got a ‘68 hard top and a bikini top and live in N. California. I want to store the hard top in my garage April-November via hoist. I saw one on Instagram but it was only for the new Broncos. I found one on Lange Originals for $500, but figured this forum would be the best place to find the “best” option. I’ve got the height in the garage to have it hoisted up and out of the way for the sunny season. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ feedback.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
I installed the lang hoist this past spring. It’s nice. No issues. But I think I could have built my own for half the price or less by doing some searches on this forum and the internet.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
there's a few options on the market now. try google searching jeep top removals and more choices will pop up. lots of these hoists aren't special to a bronco top.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
The Lange winch looks exactly like the one harbor freight has on sale for $99.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
$99 for an HF beats the heck out of $500 for the Lange. All I did was put a pair of 2X4s the length of the bed rails between the rail and the top. Run some screws through the top into the 2X4s to secure them. Lift them up enough to get a pair of 2X4s cross ways underneath the 1st set making sure there’s enough board past each side of the bed so when you attach the cables, ropes…what you choose to hang it with…it won’t hit the side windows. Then it’s just a matter of lifting the cab up enough to clear the windshield motor and raise it up.
I hung 2 pulleys on ceiling joists and used a come-along to ratchet it up and out of the way.

I’m in the airport in phoenix Arizona right now but will try to draw a picture and post up.
Randy

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
May not make sense but it’s the best I can do without my drafting arm and table. If there’s anything I need to explain (or am able to) let me know and I’ll try to.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_3727.jpeg
    IMG_3727.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 48

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
HF Winch mounted in attic, cut hole in sheet rock and used a piece of 4" PVC to un the cable through. The yellow straps lift it and then ratchet straps and 2x4's hold it up. Another strap front to back would probably help when lifting, but I don't take it on/off much. I used this.... https://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-62854.htm the controller was also fished down through the PVC.

top.jpg

Last edited:

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
HF Winch mounted in attic, cut hole in sheet rock and used a piece of 4" PVC to un the cable through. The yellow straps lift it and then ratchet straps and 2x4's hold it up. Another strap front to back would probably help when lifting, but I don't take it on/off much. I used this.... https://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-62854.htm the controller was also fished down through the PVC.

View attachment 930610
What he said, easy and cost effect. I bought bike lift system off Amazon, 2 2x4 with eye bolts that the bike lift hooks on and lifted it. Secured it with 4 eye bolts in the rafters and some ratchet straps. Been hanging there 12 years. By the way, your garage doesn't seem like a fun place to be with that sign hanging there.

Attachments

• 61h2HHsDoJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61h2HHsDoJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 18

Torkman66

Contributor
Built several. I’ll show some pics when I get back home. I used the cheap HF winch. Simply run a strap from drivers side inside coming out door opening in front and lift gate opening in back. Same for passenger side. Bring the four strap ends together on top in center. Hook to cable and winch up. You can adjust straps to ensure even pull.
I attached a pully in garage ceiling right above top, another over at the wall. Then mounted the hf winch down wall a few feet. Run cable up wall to pully in corner, over to pully in ceiling, then down to the 4 strap ends. The winches are 12 volts so you can just use the battery from any of your battery tools like the drill. Just touch wires to B+ and B- and away you go. Reverse wires to lower. Easy.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I used to hoist my hard top up in the garage, but after a few times dealing with the taking it on and off every year, soon it just remained hoisted up in the garage. I bought a soft top for the few months that I needed a top, and sold the hard top. My Bronco is my daily driver and I have no regrets ditching the hard top. Living in SoCal, soft top and soft doors are fine with me.

Mark