• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gettin her ready for fab ford

wheelsblank27

Loc.
Upon removing and reselling my third member(leaky 9") I noticed some play in my yoke when still installed in third member and rotating by hand, I've read a few threads about replacing the crush sleeve and pinion seal and should probably do it while out.
Here are a few pics.
Question 1 first pic . Should the pinion have more bearings in it , there are spaces in the bearings and the washer in back is loose
2f4ab70cca44e536ccd7dccebea480f5_zps775990eb.jpg

Also there are chips in the side of my 9 housing where the third member bolts in on both sides... My camera isn't working right and I have to go to work... Any help is much appr.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I'd leave the bearings and replace the crush sleave with a solid spacer and call it a day.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
thats ur rear pinion support bearing, looks like its missing some rollers. prob whats been bouncing around putting chips in ur housing

OP
OP
W

wheelsblank27

Loc.
^^ it's missing some rollers right? This is my first time even tearing into a rearend so should I attempt to build the pinion? Where do I get the parts? What do I need?
Thanks again

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
thats what it looks like from the pic. I would look into rebuilding it if the bearing is missing rollers. 9" r easy to do, get a rebuild kit. they r available just about anywere. ask for timkin if u want better parts. take a real good look at the whole thing, gears, spiders, etc, those rollers went someplace they could have done damage elsewhere. pull out the pinion thats what they would have gotten ground up in first.

OP
OP
W

wheelsblank27

Loc.
Yea, look s like im getting deep. Im kinnda nervous about the preload deal w the pinion and marking the bolt.
What do i use to mark the pinion shaft or the bolt?

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
its no big deal, most of the time the shims that r on there r the ones u use again. no need to mark the threads if u will be setting in a new crush sleeve or solid spacer. U can take it to a gear shop and the will do the third member for u since its out of the vehicle the hard work is done so the cost shouldn't be too bad for labor. .

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have a complete third member that I'll swap with you. It's ready to go. 3.50 R&P, 28 spline, open carrier. If that will work for you, I'll just trade for your core. I'm in T.O.

Mark