• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

getting a lift, Do i need new driveshafts?

Lime73sport

Loc.
Starke, Florida
Hey I'm about to order a lift for my 73 How big can i go before i need new drive shafts? I mostly drive on the street, to the Beach and the hunting club, NO ROCKS no need for alot of travel or articulation. and I'm poor so I can get away with 4.5" in the Front ans 3.5" or 3" in the rear(I want it to bulldog a lil bit) Or what can i do? Any info is appreciated ( I'm goin to cut the fenders also. Gonna be running 35"s thanks

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I just did a 2.5 up front and 3" in the back. The front shaft works fine, the rear wasn't even close.. had to add an inch to make it work.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I had a lot of spline showing on the rear on my 77 when I got it, it had a 3.5" lift.

I went to a CAGE 3.5" lift, rear slip shaft was done so I had a a new one made up with a longer slip joint. My front was fine until put the Cage arms on that recentered the axle, same deal, needed about a 1.5" longer one.

It will depend on your truck...

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Did you guys get your original drive shafts modified professionally or get new ones? I have a 3.5 lift but somehow in this 3.5 year build the original driveshafts have been lost.

Trying to figure out if I should but some stock ones (used) locally and get them remade or just get some new ones...

Can someone enlighten me to the cost/benefit? help with the decision?

Also, need to mention that i have Duff Long Arms up front now...

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
Did you guys get your original drive shafts modified professionally or get new ones? I have a 3.5 lift but somehow in this 3.5 year build the original driveshafts have been lost.

Trying to figure out if I should but some stock ones (used) locally and get them remade or just get some new ones...

Can someone enlighten me to the cost/benefit? help with the decision?

Also, need to mention that i have Duff Long Arms up front now...

Buy the time you buy all new joints, and spend the time to install it all, it is almost cheaper to just order up some new ones.
When I installed my 3.5 inch lift, my rear driveshaft was just long enough, the front worked just fine.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Buy the time you buy all new joints, and spend the time to install it all, it is almost cheaper to just order up some new ones.
When I installed my 3.5 inch lift, my rear driveshaft was just long enough, the front worked just fine.

x2 on new ones, my rear needed a slip joint and a complete double cardan reman, it was almost $350 to R&R vs a new one with a long slip joint at $450.

Front was tight so it got grease, and then an inch added when it needed it.

If your rears in good shape lengthen it, if its marginal, buy new.

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
x2 on new ones, my rear needed a slip joint and a complete double cardan reman, it was almost $350 to R&R vs a new one with a long slip joint at $450.

Front was tight so it got grease, and then an inch added when it needed it.

If your rears in good shape lengthen it, if its marginal, buy new.

Perfect... new it is! Gonna start selling plasma tomorrow!