• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting a new title for an old truck?

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I located a 66 roadster. No title, has a VIN plate. Has not been registered since 1972, and the current owner was not the last registered owner. Its also not staying in the same state.
any ideas on how to get a transferable title?

mike.l

Loc.
Milwaukee,WI
Roadster title

Don't know if he still exists or if it's still allowed.

There was a guy in Nevada(I think)who would send you a Nevada title after you filled out his paper work stating you didn't fraudulantly aquire the vehicle.Have it notarised and pay a small fee.

Good luck.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
In Calif. all you need is a bill of sale and then you file a lost title report, it is pretty easy. I imagine most states have a simuliar procedure.

69marquisragtop

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
See if NY has an abandoned motor vehicle act.
In Va, after the vehicle has been on your property for 30 days you file for a title for an abandoned motor vehicle. It requires some paper and legwork from the state(s) involved, and you might need to send a certified letter to the last owner on record informing them of your intentions. If you don't know the last owner contact the DMV in the state where it was last registered and inquire how to get a letter to the last owner. Then after a period of time with no response, or if it is returned unopened, you use it to document that you have attempted to contact the owner. After a little more legwork you can probably get a title.

colobronco

in colorado we can do a purged title bill of sale. All you need is a registation, and that person on the registration to sign the paper, but if he's gone, lets just say take the signature in you own hands. I've done this a couple of times, but was lucky to find the last owner still alive and around.
There is also a place called Broadway title, that you can get one from. Last i checked it was around $150.
But just go check with your dmv, usualy they will be nice and tell you what to do. But i've also got the ones, that i know there job better than they do. lol

Brian

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
scsm76 said:
In Calif. all you need is a bill of sale and then you file a lost title report, it is pretty easy. I imagine most states have a simuliar procedure.
That's what we do here as well.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
66 didnt have titles just a registration that displays the word "transferable".

http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...jaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x

http://www.nysdmv.com/proove.htm

If you dont follow the info here you just bought yourself a parts truck. Dont try anything shady, It'll only come back and bite you in the rump.

Form MV- 51 (Certification of Sale or Transfer for 1972 or Older Vehicles or Any Other Non-Titled Vehicles): If the seller did not register the vehicle, the boat, the ATV or the snowmobile, the seller can complete form MV- 51 and give the form to the buyer. The seller must also give the buyer the original proof of ownership and bill of sale that the seller received from the previous owner. If there are other previous owners, the seller must also give the buyer proofs of all previous transfers of ownership. The seller must also give the buyer a bill of sale.

Last edited: