• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting Ready To Replace Water Pump

Keek

Loc.
Halstead Kansas
Haven't had to replace a water pump in a couple of decades.

(I use Water Pump Lube/ Rust Inhibitor in all my vehicles and it seems to have prevented this issue quite nicely.)

My 72 w/302 v-8 has developed a leak at the water pump weep hole.

So I've ordered a new pump and new upper and lower hoses.

Before I tear into this, is there anything out of the ordinary I need to watch for?

For that matter, does anyone have any tricks to share that helps it go as easy as possible?

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
I would soak all the bolts with some type of penetrating/creeping oil. Kroil, PB Blaster, etc. I've heard of nightmares of broken bolts in these old blocks. Good luck.

u10072

Bronco Guru
The only issue really are the long bolts that go through the water passages and can get rusty. Those sometimes break. I like to run a tap into those passages once the bolts are out.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Take a good look at the water pump bolts. If the shank diameter is reduced from corrosion, replace them. Chase out the threaded holes with a tap and use anti-seize when you put them back.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
While the water-pump is being replaced....You may decide to go with a premium pump....Like the FLOW-KOOLER PUMP, If thats your choice....make sure to go with the thermostat.....as well......The Timing Cover is Aluminum...SO electrolysis is your enemy....Be prepared to replace that since the pump has been there....a very .....long time.......LASTLY.....YOUR TIMING SET......NOWS A GREAT TIME......I KNOW MONEY IS AN ISSUE....ALWAYS IS FOR MOST OF US.....MY GOOD FRIEND...IS DEALING WITH RIGHT NOW.....AFTER ENGINE REPLACEMENT SURGERY.....THE WIFE SAYS....CAR WILL NOT START....THE STARTER FELL OFF...WHEN THEY GET IT RUNNING...IT HAS SPUN A BEARING.....MECHANIC ....IS...THROWING THE WIFE UNDER THE CAR.....PUTTING BLAME ANYWHERE.....BUT HIMSELF.....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Before you put the bolts that go through the timing cover and thread into the block wipe on a thin film of silicone on the bolt shanks. next time you pull the cover the bolts wont be all corroded.

JSBX

Contributor
Water pump

If your engine has a lot of miles you may want to replace the timing chain since you are that close or at least inspect it.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
There are thread chasers that would be better suited to thread cleaning than a tap. The tap is for cutting thread not cleaning it and could quickly do damage if jammed.
There have been some great suggestions here like checking out your timing chain/gears.
I would suggest you just replace all your water pump/timing chain cover bolts with stainless. There isn't that many so it wouldn't cost too much. Still should use some anti-sieze on them though since galvanic corrosion could again take place with the the three dissimilar metals (stainless bolts, aluminum timing chain cover, and the iron block).

Keep us posted.

billinkw

Loc.
Austin
If its been forever or if your fuel pump is stock may be a good idea to replace it. Its so much easier when the water pump is off. I replaced both water pump and fuel pump a few months back and for sure soak the bolts with penetrating oil. I had 2 bolts break which turned out to make my life miserable for about a week.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I dunno. Savings isn't the reason I won't use stainless here. Steel is stronger, galls less, and is easier to remove when it breaks. Assembly with the OE type steel bolts works fine.

OP
OP
K

Keek

Loc.
Halstead Kansas
;D;D;D

Done, Done, Done!

Replaced Waterpump, hoses and thermostat.

Also replaced thermostat relief/return hose.

All new clamps.

Everything unbolted and bolted back in.

This 72 has had a 73 p/s added to it with a 'different' crankshaft pulley added to accomodate the extra v-belt. That pulley had to be pulled in order to provide easier clearance to remove the waterpump pulley and waterpump.

Everything cleaned up, bolted back together and ready to go by beer-thirty.

I love it when things come apart and go back together like they're supposed to.