• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

getting rid of MSD ignition control box

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
My MSD offroad ignition control box is toast. I have a mostly stock engine and was thinking about going back to factory ignition control, but don't know what I need to do that since I have always had the MSD.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I believe you take your old coil wires that you have run to the MSD box now and hook them back up to the coil. These wires were part of your engine harness and should be easy to spot compared to the MSD wires.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It depends on how the MSD was installed.
Do you have a points distributor or something with electronic pickup?
If electronic pickup do you still have the original ignition (duraspark) box?

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I did a little research online and I don't know which distributor I have. The engine is from a 91 Mustang, but I don't know if it's a stock distributor. I will take a look at it tonight and post a picture.

I don't have a duraspark box.

noslo5o

According to your signature you have EFI assuming its the ECC IV Mustang TFI Distributor you can just unplug it from the MSD and back into the coil.
Picture

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
It depends on how the MSD was installed.
Do you have a points distributor or something with electronic pickup?
If electronic pickup do you still have the original ignition (duraspark) box?

So is this points or electronic?

Attachments

• 2012-11-13_21-11-56_838.jpg
    2012-11-13_21-11-56_838.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 35

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is a TFI used with EFI (different then the carbed distributors I was thinking of)
The MSD is inline. You should have no issues just taking the MSD out and running without it.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
MSD would probably replace your fried box provided you did nothing wrong. Phone # is on their web site. It's worth a call. They replaced mine free twice.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Wow, after all these years thinking the ignition control box was a necessity and after scratching my head for months before checking with you guys I pulled the MSD box out this morning and she fired right up! It's so nice knowing that I can just pull this thing off and not need to replace it. How often does something work out that easy on a Bronco?

I'm not sure I even care about trying to get them to replace it.