• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting rid of the tire carrier

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
Eventually I'll be getting rid of the stock tire carrier for a protofab rear bumper, and I'd like to weld up the holes. I was wondering if I need to get the inside pieces out of the fenders too. Does anyone know if they'd rattle around inside because they aren't attached to the outside parts. I'd leave them if they don't make noise.......

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
you can get them out through the bottom of the corners or through the little access plates behind the lights... you might have to unscrew your light buckets to slip the brackets out the bottom.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
If you LOVE rattles leave them in, if not pull them out.
Usually can be droppped out the bottom of the fender but sometimes the thing must come through the taillight access panel.
TOFIC

brewchief

I took my carrier off years ago, there have been times I regret it, instead of welding up the holes why not just put a stainless button head bolt in there, would look fine and would be very easy to put the carrier back on for you or another owner if you ever sold it.

Brewchief;D

OP
OP
73ny

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
I took my carrier off years ago, there have been times I regret it, instead of welding up the holes why not just put a stainless button head bolt in there, would look fine and would be very easy to put the carrier back on for you or another owner if you ever sold it.

Brewchief;D

I'd still have one with the protofab rear bumper and tire carrier.....forgot to add the tire carrier part....

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I kept the backing plates in mine. Added some rubber washers inside and out and installed nice bolts to fill the holes. The washers keep everything from rattling.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
There's one other item to consider. If you decide to sell/trade the tire carrier, it'll probably be more desirable if it has all the hardware with it. I'd take the extra stuff out for just that reason. If you think you'll ever re-install it, just use some nice stainless carriage bolts like brewchief mentioned, or even leave the inner/outer mounting brackets on the truck and just remove the hinges and lift the carrier off.