• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ghetto roll cage

kilron

Loc.
Portage. PA
Do you guys think it would be possible to put a stock roll bar in the back facing the opposite direction, cutting off the angled braces and welding tube between the 2 parts?

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
You probably could, but it would look like what the title of your thread implies....

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Saw it on a Blazer

Saw it done on a 79 Chevy Blazer. Don't know why it wouldn't work on a Bronco

OP
OP
kilron

kilron

Loc.
Portage. PA
Understood it wouldnt look good but if you've seen my rig then you know Im not all that worried about looks.....just wanted something to add a little more safety and be able to stracth a bikini top over it. Have to find the cheap way to do about everything.

OP
OP
kilron

kilron

Loc.
Portage. PA
You guys think it would be cost effective compared to taking some steel to a machine shop and them making the bends for the rear?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You guys think it would be cost effective compared to taking some steel to a machine shop and them making the bends for the rear?

I was going to suggest just that. If you can afford the tube, you can afford to pay someone to bend the two rear legs; you will need to know what radius you want, overall angle and where it should be along the length of the tube. Good luck.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Besides the crudness of it, the floor at the front of the cab is several inches lower then in the rear of the cab. I would think the roll bar would be too short to use in the front of a bronco. But being getto, you could mount the front of the cage on lift blocks to get it to match the rear cage. That is also completely disregarding clearance bends to make t easier to get in and out of.

Not sure if the gettos cage conversion would be any safer then without it. Hard to judge safety on the getto standards.

OP
OP
kilron

kilron

Loc.
Portage. PA
I was planning on buying the front weld in kit since it has so many bends in it...this idea would be more for the tagalong back seaters....I wouldnt even think of doing it this way but vendors are too far away and it would almost double the price of buying a real cage

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Why not look into a knock-down cage? All the tube is pre-bent and fit, you just have to tack it up and then once its good, finish weld it. Lots of nice options for such kits; still not super-cheap--as in free, but a cage is kind of important, so why skimp? What do you have to start with? There have been a couple of nice family-style cages done by members that started out with a Smittybuilt or similar old-school main hoop-type roll-bar. Good luck.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Find you an electrician friend and just ask him to grab you a 10' peice of 2" thick wall EMT and use his bender.

Sasquatch

Biggest prob I see is that no top whether hard or soft will fit. The Hoop on the roll bar is straight up and down where your top has a rake to it. Or maybe Im not reading into your plan quite right. SB

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
My friend bought a Bronco with a Ghetto cage in it.. He just cut it out and is looking for a decent one.. He likes my Crab cage. I had my Crab cage shipped from the West coast to AL for around $200.

This is the best picture I have of it.. Bumpers were also pretty Ghetto..

Attachments

• 000_0098.JPG
    000_0098.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 104

Louie

Bronco Guru
My pre-welded full family cage was shipped from Iowa to Ohio for around $135 last year. Shipping's not as bad as you'd think.

OP
OP
kilron

kilron

Loc.
Portage. PA
Thanks for the help guys but I believe I found a guy that will bend one up for me....but Im also gonna look into a crab when the time comes.