• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Going to buy a Bronco - Best Advice you Have

brian1110

Hey - so I am going to buy a Bronco as soon as I find the perfect one for me. I want a 68+, power steering (willing to add), decent body, cut fenders, some 33-35's, and a small lift (willing to add). I know I am going to swap the tranny for a NV 3550 that should be easy to pick up here in Houston - there is a million Junk Yards. If the 302 is good I will keep it if not I want to put in a 351w. I am going to figure out a good way to put A/C in it, and thats about it, maybe the PS Pump upgrade, and a power brake w/disc maybe hydroboost. Anyways not the point.

I am no mechanic - I do own alot of tools and have done basic stuff like belts, timing belts, but I have never pulled a motor, a tranny, hell I still dont understand the full workings of 4-wheel drive - however - I want to learn by trial and error. So the question is - what books can I buy to start the learning process - Haynes Manual - I saw someone post about a Ford Small Block book. Any 4x4 manuals that anyone would recommend. And if I go out and get some junk parts to tear apart any recommendations there. I am thinking about getting a motor and bringing it home and just ripping it apart to figure it out........Best Advice you Have.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Rob a bank first, no, a Early Bronco can suck up a lot of money and time. Good luck, but no what you are getting into before your purchase. Look at vendor sites and see what you can afford to upgrade. Get a plan and try to stick with it. Look for rust in places like door posts, then make sure it is doable at your skill level or hobby cash level before you get a pile in your garage that you end up giving away because you can't afford to finish it.

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
I agree with Gearida. If you buy a bronco that needs work it will take a lot of time and money even for a basic rebuild. Rust will be the ultimate enemy. I had to go fiberglass because I didn't have the time to replace all the rusted sheetmetal plus it would have cost about the same so the fiberglass made sense for me. If you are looking for a daily driver be ready to ask friends and family to borrow their car. Even a 1977 bronco kept in good shape will still need work because of it's age. My truck has been off the road for 10 years, parts have been piled up in the garage, and I'm finally starting to get it back together. Good luck!

MattW

The good news is these things are simple to work on. The bad news is that it can eat up time and money as others have already mentioned.

As far as skill level is concerned, it doesn't take much and everybody here is more than helpful and willing to lend their knowledge and even a hand in some instances.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I want a 68+, power steering (willing to add), decent body, cut fenders, some 33-35's, and a small lift (willing to add). I know I am going to swap the tranny for a NV 3550 that should be easy to pick up here in Houston - there is a million Junk Yards. If the 302 is good I will keep it if not I want to put in a 351w. I am going to figure out a good way to put A/C in it, and thats about it, maybe the PS Pump upgrade, and a power brake w/disc maybe hydroboost.

- however - I want to learn by trial and error.

And if I go out and get some junk parts to tear apart any recommendations there. I am thinking about getting a motor and bringing it home and just ripping it apart to figure it out
Best advise is to make a list of all the things you want in a Bronco, then look for the Bronco that already has most of what you want in it. Based on the list you've provided so far, I'd plan on spending in the neighborhood of $6K. Body rust is the big money and time pit, so pay close attention to that. 35's will require a minimum of a 4 1/2" lift, combination of suspension and body lift.

Learning by trial is OK, but the error part will cost you money!!!

Don't spend money on junk parts. Save that money for good Bronco parts.

red71sport

Loc.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Buy one that is already what you want. Pay 10 or 12K if you have too. You say you're not a mechanic, and that you don't even know how 4X4 works. That's not a major problem. Even the smartest mechanic on here at one point didn't know any more then you. But with that having been said, if you're not either very wealthy, or have a 5 car garage with no other cars in it you are going to regret your plan as you have laid it out to us. Trust me there is no such thing as a finished bronco. If you buy one that has power disks in all 4 corners, power steering, automatic trans, air conditioning, so on and so on you will still have things you will want to do to it. There's the wiring, there's the tilt column, dressing up the motor, paint, wheels & tires, winch and bumper choices...the list goes on and on. At the very least call Tom's, Wild horses and Duff's and ask for a catalog. Even pay for it if you need too. Then over the next several weeks as you continue to look, go through the catalogs and list all the things you want and how much they cost. Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way...I appreciate your gumption and your ambition, if you do it your way, it will be a great build thread!!

OP
OP
B

brian1110

Buy one that is already what you want. Pay 10 or 12K if you have too. You say you're not a mechanic, and that you don't even know how 4X4 works. That's not a major problem. Even the smartest mechanic on here at one point didn't know any more then you. But with that having been said, if you're not either very wealthy, or have a 5 car garage with no other cars in it you are going to regret your plan as you have laid it out to us. Trust me there is no such thing as a finished bronco. If you buy one that has power disks in all 4 corners, power steering, automatic trans, air conditioning, so on and so on you will still have things you will want to do to it. There's the wiring, there's the tilt column, dressing up the motor, paint, wheels & tires, winch and bumper choices...the list goes on and on. At the very least call Tom's, Wild horses and Duff's and ask for a catalog. Even pay for it if you need too. Then over the next several weeks as you continue to look, go through the catalogs and list all the things you want and how much they cost. Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way...I appreciate your gumption and your ambition, if you do it your way, it will be a great build thread!!

Now that is some seriously soiid advice - the same way I would give it - real and up front - Thanks.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think buying a decent runner, or someones already started project, is a good idea since then you can do the mods you want as you can get to them. It is a good car to learn on since it was made so you can make most repairs on the trail. Expect rust. Some isn't that hard to fix but unless you plan a lot of work, cowl rust should be considered terminal.