• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

going to EFI, keep Aux tank or ditch it?

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
I was going to use an aftermarket tank with an in tank pump. Should I keep the Aux tank or just get rid of it and the extra weight and plumbing?

I am painting the truck soon so I could fill the hole if necessary...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If I was doing it again I'd get rid of it. Not worth the work for an extra 120 mile range.

rtreads

Loc.
I wanted to ADD one to mine and just make it a reserve tank.

install a momentary switch wired to a cheap electric fuel pump that pumps fuel thru a large 3/8"+ line to a vent in your main tank. This way when your main tank runs down, you can just hold the switch (not an on/off switch because you will forget its on and it will burn up the pump) and pump the gas from the AUX tank to the main tank. And the best part is you dont have to deal with high pressure lines, return lines, or a multi-position fuel slector switch! And it would be easy to wire/plumb. You could even add a valve that lets you pump the gas into a container and fill someone elses rig... be the hero!

...or if you are not worried about having extra fuel, you can ditch it!

Broncoward

Loc.
Rolesville
I kept mine and when my rear tank get low I run the Aux tank...which doesn't have a return to it...It runs and pumps the returned fuel to my rear tank....I just keep and eye out for about ten minutes of driving and the spare is empty and I have 3/4th in the rear..when complete

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I ditched my aux. tank years ago on my daily driver and have never missed it. Chucks tank gives me plenty of range. It enabled me to cut off my rockers, and I think a cleaner look with only one gas cap.

techlaf

Contributor
Any concern of getting drivers side T-Boned on the road and having fuel right under your butt? Didn't car companies stop putting gas tanks outside the frame for a reason? Safety?

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I wanted to ADD one to mine and just make it a reserve tank.

install a momentary switch wired to a cheap electric fuel pump that pumps fuel thru a large 3/8"+ line to a vent in your main tank. This way when your main tank runs down, you can just hold the switch (not an on/off switch because you will forget its on and it will burn up the pump) and pump the gas from the AUX tank to the main tank. And the best part is you dont have to deal with high pressure lines, return lines, or a multi-position fuel slector switch! And it would be easy to wire/plumb. You could even add a valve that lets you pump the gas into a container and fill someone elses rig... be the hero!

...or if you are not worried about having extra fuel, you can ditch it!

This is pretty much what I have now with the exception of the momentary switch. Yes, I have forgot about it and over filled my rear tank and made a mass. I'm hooking a buzzer to it so I don't forget again. It takes quite a few minutes to pump off the aux tank. I'm just using an old low pressure pump I had hanging around and don't know how much it pumps. I'd like to find a low pressure / hi volume pump that would pump more, through like a 1/2" line.

Bronc484

Loc.
Littleton, CO.
I ditched my aux. tank when I went to an efi, and intalled a 23gal. Northweatern tank. But I also needed the space for my roll cage to tie into the frame.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Didn't car companies stop putting gas tanks outside the frame for a reason? Safety?
It was more for liability than safety. Fewer people were actually injured by saddlebag gas tanks than by false airbag deployment. But the liability on gas tanks is higher. How many early Bronco occupants have you ever heard of being injured by its front tank? The wheelbase on a FS pickup is enough for most cars to get in there & rupture the tank, but not on an eB.