• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good carb for the Edelbrock performer intake?

Adarcy

Ever since I have gone to the Edelbrock Performer intake and AutoLite 4100 carb I have been plagued by vacuum leaks from around the carb mounting spots. I've tried every spacer under the sun and gasket type with no luck. I figure I can either go to a different carb setup or change the manifold.

I know many people are running this intake manifold, but what carb are you running with it? I'm looking for something that can perform on and off road so the standard edelbrock carbs are probably out of the question.

Stock 302, full exhaust, factory intake and it's gotta clear the stock hood without a body lift.

Thanks!

turbotim2

I can't recommend a different carb but if you are looking to get rid of the 4100, let me know.

bsquared

Contributor
I went with a quadra jet and used the BC Broncos adapter plate and drop base air filter. However, I don't know if it will fit without a body lift.

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
My Edelbrock 600cfm with "off-road needle and seat" kit never hiccuped at all for me--granted it's mostly flat down here but we did hit some mud holes hard and blasted over some ledges. My buddy had a 302 with a 500cfm Edelbrock on it (street only) and it ran like fuel injection. Put the spring loaded needle and seat in a 500cfm on your 302 and I think you'll do fine.

Vintagehoss

Loc.
Lutz, FL
I'm running a Holley 600 cfm on a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and a 3 inch air filter with a dropped base. No body lift, stock motor mounts. I have about 3/8 inch clearence between the air cleaner nut and the center for/aft brace on a stock hood. I used the "play dough" method to check the clearence.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am running same intake with a Holley TA 670. Seems perfect, although I am sure it could be better with a fine tune. As far as off road I cannot make it stumble, stall, or hiccup. The Holley TA is almost like cheating, you bolt it on and forget it. I have heard some of the guys running the 470 have needed to swap jets but after that they are quite happy too.
By the way you can even find used TA's on ebay as well as rebuilt Holleys with off road needles and spring loaded floats from numerous vendors.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
My Edelbrock 600cfm with "off-road needle and seat" kit never hiccuped at all for me--granted it's mostly flat down here but we did hit some mud holes hard and blasted over some ledges. My buddy had a 302 with a 500cfm Edelbrock on it (street only) and it ran like fuel injection. Put the spring loaded needle and seat in a 500cfm on your 302 and I think you'll do fine.

At Superlift offroad park, before I went EFI, I couldn't keep it running going uphill or downhill with the 600cfm and "Offroad needles and seats".
If I could do it again, I would have never changed from a 2 barrel.

LukeB

Loc.
Suisun, Ca
Holley 670 TA with the eddlebrock performer. No body lift using a drop holley air cleaner. I had the 470 on it at first and couldn't get it to run right so holley sent me the 670. Runs fine on a stock 302.