• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Goodyear MTR vs. IROK for DD???

ric9469

Loc.
Orinda, CA
Been driving the rockcrawler '72 Bronco I bought a couple of weeks ago and it's been fairly decent. Recap, '72 302, 435, D20, 9", D44, 4.88's, detroits, approx. 8-9" lift, 4 link susp, running 39.5 Iroks.

It's okay on the road but not great and I'd like to make it a little more streetable for daily use. Need opinions or better yet first hand experience with the MTR. Any thoughts on whether or not 37" MTR radials would noticeably improve road manners over the 39" Bias ply Iroks?

TIA.
rich f.
"Semper Paratus"

Bronco1.jpg
readytogo.jpg

dustybronco

MTR's

don't know if this is any help but. I just upgraded my wife's cherokee (her DD) from 33" Procomp muds to 35 MTR's and holy cow what a difference. It handles better and is alot quieter. The procomps were alright but nowhere like the MTR's on the road. And in the snow the MTR's are night and day. Here in Utah it has been snowing quite a bit (almost 4 feet in last week). plus our drive is 700' long with an uphill climb. some days it was all the jeep could do to bust through the drifts with the procomps let alone make the hill. this morning with the mtr's made it no problem in two wheel drive thats a huge difference. Lot more $ but definately worth it. Hope I helped

Broncos n' VWs

I had Super Swamper TSL SX (35 X 15.5) and they weren't all that great on the street. When it came time to replace them, I went with the MTRs. I noticed a big difference. The MTRs help out with the handling a lot on my rig. You are running a bigger tire than I am, but I think you will notice a substantial difference in ride / handling, as far as daily driving. It will be for the better. Funny, I had this exact conversation with a guy at work today. He has the IROC s on his Jeep and wants to go back to his MTRs because of the ride / handling.

OP
OP
ric9469

ric9469

Loc.
Orinda, CA
Thanks guys, that is helpful. There's a set of exactly what I need about an hour from here but I can't get there 'til Sat. Appreciate the insight.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
The one thing that I would look at right away is tire life. The IROC is designed for a competition/offroad use primarily whereas the MTR is/was designed for the average joe blow to go off road every once in a while. The IROC is made of a softer compound than the MTR so they will wear out faster too. When you look at the long run, you will replace the IROCs faster and more often than the MTRs.

GoFastCrackPipe

Loc.
Salem area
Another option would be the Toyo Open Country M/T. I've been running a set of these since August and they are awesom. So far I've had them in sand, mud (which is kind of a problem for the MTR's from what I've been told by some people that run them), rocks, snow, and a lot of street time and they have performed very well. And the wear rate is compriable to the MTR's (maybe even a little better).

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I have two lifted rigs, my "streeter" in standard 5.5 lift on 35-15.50 Baja Claws, it will run 80 down the interstate, my "trail" rig has 4.5 lift, long arms, TRO, 36-13.50 IROKS and is built the right way, and I can't run over 55 due to vibrations. I bought both sets new mounted and balanced from 4 wheel parts.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Yes! Go with the MTR's if its going to be your DD and see alot of road use. I run 35 MTR's and am verry happy with them. They seem to be wearing quite well too.

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
I have the MTRs and like them, but the best tire going for street miles and offroad now seems to be the Toyo Open Country. M/T. I've read a lot of feedback from guys running them on Superdutys and they are quiet and show no wear after 10k miles. Some guys have them into the high 30,000s and are happy. That's with a truck that weighs 8,000 pounds. They're hard to find depending on the size but Treadepot.com has them in stock in a 37x14.50x15 for $222.

http://www.treadepot.com/tireswheels.c/orders/index.html

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
I run the TRXS radial mud (swamper) 90% street driven, great tire.