• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Goodyear MTRs vs. Swamper SSRs...need some thoughts.

FordTruckGuyFX4

Loc.
East TN
I've been planning on 37/12.50 SSRs for my truck after the lift but lately I've been hearing alot of good things about the MTRs and that they are good competition to some of the Swampers. Anyone have them? Any idea the mileage to expect. I need them to do some serious offroading but survive about a couple years while I attend the Nascar Tech before they need replaced. Maybe 25k miles or so. They'd be on the road plenty too. I've heard they are quiet for the tread design too. What are your thoughts. I can get the MTRs for the same price if not a little cheaper than the SSRs.

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
I have them on my Bronco and my truck. On the Bronco I use the 37 MTRs. They work great off road no complaints what so ever. It is a trail only rig, so I can't really comment on road manners. My truck is a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram 4x4 with heavy ass Cummins engine. I've got about 28,000 miles on them and they're about 2/3 gone. My truck is just eatin these tires. I will say that I've seen a lot of road rigs with these tires and they're not having the same problem. It must just have to do the the added weight and the Cummins power with a posi rear-end.
;D ;D ;D

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I have the 37" MTRs on a street only Bronco. I like them and they are pretty quiet at highway speed. I have no idea how many miles to expect.

I can only compare them to the previous tires - 36" Dick Cepek Radial FC. DCs may have been a little quieter and were super in mud and snow.

Goodyear has been a whole lot easier than dealing with the goofballs at Mickey Thompson.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I have seen them side by side on 2 cj7's. The ssr's were better in mud. The mtr's were better on the rocks. I never thought to ask about mileage. My mtr's are pretty loud. I like loud.;D

Broncitis

MEB Founder
A lot of guys who attend our Bronco events (Fawl Crawl and the Roundup) run both of these. One is Brian Keeler who's my right hand man in the club. He had 35 SSR's for the last several years before swapping to 37" MTR's a year or so ago.

Brian's SSR's did a fine job on clean redrock during our trip to Moab a couple years ago and work well in mud and dirt covered rock since they are more self cleaning. The MTR's handle better on the road and are good on clean rocks, but if you have some mud on the approach, you'll be screwed. This is often the case at places like Tellico where we have the Fawl Crawl.

Another participant at last year's Crawl was Lee Novikoff from Texas who had 40 MTR's on his super trick Bronco rockcrawler. That rig is amazing but could not get up on the face of slickrock after it was greased up from those ahead of him. He spent more than 20 minutes giving it his best, but the tires just wolud not hook up. He said he really wished he had brought his Swamper SX's instead.

Seeing that you're from eastern TN, I assume Tellico is one of the places you will wheel, and that other places you do are also likely fairly similar. Because of that, I'd reccomend the SSR, however, don't overlook the BFG Krawler, IMO, it is probably has the best features from both.

The aggresive sidebiters of the Swamper designs are great at Tellico for hooking up on exposed roots and the steep cut banks like on trail 8 and 11.

I currently have 38.5 SX's, but will probably look at the Krawlers in the future.

Milage ?:? , both of us use are rigs almost exclusivly for rockcrawling with very little daily road miles. I would not expect much over 25-30K of useful tread, but I really don't know.

OP
OP
F

FordTruckGuyFX4

Loc.
East TN
Thanks for the input. I'm still leaning on the SSRs. I trust interco alot more than Goodyear for an offroad tire. And yes where I wheel the SSRs probably will be better. If the MTRs had the self cleaning ability of the SSRs I'd be on them probably...but I've heard alot of bad stuff about them in mud, especially some good clay. I will be seeing that alot more than mud since its a fullsize truck, not set up for crawling really. The price of the BFGs is the turnoff for me. I really wish I could get a 37/15 in the SSR...I thought of goin to a 38/15 but I dont really feel like paying 400 more dollars when I order my tires just to go an inch taller and a couple inches wider. I have a buddy with a buddy of his dad who works for Interco and I'm gonna see if he might could hook me up with a deal. Hell if its good enough I may go to 38s. With what I've found out the last day or so in research though the MTRs aint gonna do me alot of good. One of the holes I wanna hit when I get done managed to get a '79 longbed F-350 on '44 TSLs stuck. I wanna see what I can do...I'll bust it with some speed if I hafta though I want through that sucker...its the local mudhole to hit.;D

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
If you plan on playing in the mud, definentally go with the SSRs. They have a much better lug pattern for mud, and will do far better. If you can spin the cash, I would even go for boggers, although their street manners are zip to none.

Remember though, if you are going as big as 37"+ tires, you are probably going to have a difficult time finding a shop that will actually balance them for you. Most will not put them on their machines for fear of damage (to the machine, not just the tire), so you might not get great road manners in either tire. I had no problem getting my 35" MTRs balanced, and I have no complaints about them. I feel that they perform great in mud, but I do not drive a mud truck..

Another option would be a cheaper tire for now, and a serious mud tire (like the bogger) for later. You can get a pretty good deal on General Grabber M/T 35s, and they have a very nice tread. I can't remember what my buddy paid for his, but I am pretty sure it was under $200 a tire.

buckedup

Loc.
Ft myers, Fl
I am running 38/15.5/15 SSR's...LOVE THEM!!! I run hwy and off road have had no problems, plus the SSR's look sweeett.