• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Goodyear vs Procomp mud terrain?

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I am shopping for a new set of tires 35 12.5x15 . Had pretty much decided on the goodyear mtr, but 4 wheel parts has a sale on procomp, buy 3 get 1 free.
Does anyone have any experiance with procomp, good or bad, and how do they compare to the goodyear. Any input would be appreciated.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I know this does not have anything to do with your question but I just thought I'd add my two cents. I went tire hunting last week and I looked all over my area for tires at a reasonable cost. I looked at the goodyear MTR's and about six others. I bought some Dunlop Mud Rovers for a very reasonable $123 each for a 33 X 12.50 - 15. If you don't have your mind made up yet , maybe you could look into them. I have only had them for a week but they don't seem too bad so far and work pretty well in the rain. Ride is smooth. Little noise but not too bad for a tire with lugs like that. Here is a link
http://tires2.digiknow.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Mud+Rover&mrktarea=Light+Truck. I'm not trying to talk you into anything, just trying to help out.

Sabas

Try Ivan Stewart's Sop in El Cajon MTR's @ $135.00 per tire. Website is Protrucks.com

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
pro comp compound is very soft. my buddy had them on his EB and Tacoma with some offroading he got less than 20k miles on his procomps his Tacoma has some tread left at 27000 miles on street driving.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
I got Yokohama Geolander MT's in your size from Summit for $136.00 each and $10.00 each shipping. I like them. I have heard lots of good things about them but I havn't been off road in them yet.

brokehorse

I am looking for the same size and trying to make up my mind.
I just went back and looked at a tire comparison in Jan 02 Four wheeler. They rated each tire in mud, rocks, sand and street.
The Goodyear ranked only slightly higher in one area and that was in mud. Other than that they had them pretty equal. They tested the Pro Comp Xterrain.

Also I saw a set of the Xterrains on a Bronco yesterday, they looked pretty good. The bronco they are on is listed in the classified today in GA. You might be able to get a photo from him.

Take this for what its worth to you.

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I just bought a set of 35x12.5.15 goodyear mtr's for my EB and couldn't say enough good things about them. They are quite and handle extremely well. I bought them at Sear's (price matched with a quote from www.thetirerack.com ) for, I think, $169 each. I've had a few freind with the procomp tires and they weren't too happy with them. They weren't disappointed in them either. I do remember the tread wearing out quickly. I had a set of the mud rovers on my F150 and after about 10K miles they were the most annoying tire I've owned. The road noise and vibration was unbearable. Even with rotation and balancing after 8K. I hope you (2bad) have a better experience than me with your's.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
ANYONE IN SO CAL NEEDING GOODYEAR MTR`S IN 33 AND 35 " SIZES I CAN GET THEM FOR $525 a set for 33`s and $550 a set for 35`s.that is cash OTD prices.

JCBronco74

Loc.
Covington, Georgia
JRAhorse said:
I am looking for the same size and trying to make up my mind.
I just went back and looked at a tire comparison in Jan 02 Four wheeler. They rated each tire in mud, rocks, sand and street.
The Goodyear ranked only slightly higher in one area and that was in mud. Other than that they had them pretty equal. They tested the Pro Comp Xterrain.

Also I saw a set of the Xterrains on a Bronco yesterday, they looked pretty good. The bronco they are on is listed in the classified today in GA. You might be able to get a photo from him.

Take this for what its worth to you.

I have a set of Xterrains on my EB. I love them. They work great on and off-road.

ricks77eb

Loc.
Deer Park, Texas
I have a set of the ProComp 35x12.50x15's and have not really been that impressed with them. The compound is pretty soft so they have not worn that good with the limited pavement time they see. As far as traction goes they are OK until you get into the mud then they do not clean well and are unable to get a good bite. Just my .02

cheesenip73

I also have the ProComp Mud 35 12.5 15's and have had them for 3 years of wheeling. I originally bought them with the buy three and get one free deal. I was saving money at the time. in retrospect I have been happy with them. Some advantages over the older BFG Mud's is that the Pro's have siping. i've noticed that they are quieter too. Plus the compound of the tread is softer. To me, that is an advantage for wheeling. I've taken them rockcrawling and snow wheeling aften. A disadvantage is that the lugs DO tear off easy in the rocks. The first time that you take your EB in the rocks YOU WILL NOTICE THE ABUSE ON YOUR TIRES.

cheesenip73

I also have the ProComp Mud 35 12.5 15's and have had them for 3 years of wheeling. I originally bought them with the buy three and get one free deal. I was saving money at the time. in retrospect I have been happy with them. Some advantages over the older BFG Mud's is that the Pro's have siping. i've noticed that they are quieter too. Plus the compound of the tread is softer. To me, that is an advantage for wheeling. I've taken them rockcrawling and snow wheeling aften. A disadvantage is that the lugs DO tear off easy in the rocks. The first time that you take your EB in the rocks YOU WILL NOTICE THE ABUSE ON YOUR TIRES. But they work for the money you spend or save. My EB is not a daily driver. So road wear is not something I've noticed. I have never lost a bead with them in the snow and I air them down to 3-4 psi on 8.5 rims.

Overall, I'm happy with the way I spent my money.

OP
OP

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I had pretty much decided on the goodyear but thought of the pro comp because of the sale. i think i will stick with the goodyear.
4whel parts wanted 189 a piece for them plus 50 freight , anyone know a cheaper place to get them?

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Seems I remember a similiar set of posts earlier.

Check out 4x4groupbuy.com

Otherwise I've heard that Wal-mart is the cheapest, although they may have to order them for you.

JP

OP
OP

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Thanks for the suggestion I dont think the walmart in san jose sells tires but i will check the one in gilroy. The last set i got was at costco they were goodrich all terrain , cant beat their price, but they dont carry goodyear. nice to see another bronco from san jose on here.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
sicaz66 said:
ANYONE IN SO CAL NEEDING GOODYEAR MTR`S IN 33 AND 35 " SIZES I CAN GET THEM FOR $525 a set for 33`s and $550 a set for 35`s.that is cash OTD prices.

what are you guys blind this is a killer deal.

OP
OP

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
yeah the price sounded really good to me to , but sounded like you had to pick them up with cash in hand, it 18 hours round trip to LA and about $120 for gas. If they will ship i might be interested.