• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Goodyear vs Procomp mud terrain?

DoughBoy

Loc.
Hemet, CA
sicaz66 said:
what are you guys blind this is a killer deal.

I'd have to agree, its a better deal than I get at work with my employee discount.

As far as the comparison, I'd rank the tires as follows:
Swamper IROK
Goodyear MTR
Pro Comp MT
Pro Comp X-Terain
BFG MT

( unless you run in mud, then flip flop the bottom 2 )

Dunlops are about 2" shorter than advertised height, I was given a free set of 35" Mud Rovers and not only were they barely 33" tall, they sucked for traction IMO. I have heard good things about the Yoko's, but hard to find if you need one fast on a trip. I have personally never run a better tire than the IROK for all around street & Crawling. Aside from the noise, they are every bit as civilized as the MTR, for less money usually, and the only drawback is the soft compound - same as the Bogger. The plus side is sweet looks, traction up the wazoo, and better sidewall strength than any radial can match.

Sabas

Protruck will ship the tires anywhere in the U.S. Just call them for exact cost

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
Do you have a Sear's near you? I bought my goodyears from them and brought them a peice of paper with the price per tire from thetirerack.com and they matched the price no questions asked. I also got road hazzard protection form them as well.

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
fuseman said:
Do you have a Sear's near you? I bought my goodyears from them and brought them a peice of paper with the price per tire from thetirerack.com and they matched the price no questions asked. I also got road hazzard protection form them as well.
suppsedly discount tire here does the same so i am doing that this weekend. I'll let you guys know; what was your out-the-door price at sears? and what size tires??

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I bought 35x12.5x15. If I can find my reciept I'll give you the exact dollar amount but for now it was right around $900. That of course included mount, balance, valve stems, alignment(i don't recomend them doing it), and the road hazzard. I figured about 6oo for tires, 250 for mount balance and road hazzard and 50 for the alignment.

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
IMO the mtr's and the procomps suck in mud. My friends have had both and they just are up to par in the mud at all. Specially the procomps they ball up like crazy, no self cleaning at all.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Someone recently posted that they took an internet tire ad into Wallmart and they matched the price. They had to order the tires and it took several days as I recall, but they matched it just the same. Might be worth a call to your local Wallmart instead of doing the internet mail order thing.

Just a thought.

Glenn
'71 EB Tulsa

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
jpoore said:
Seems I remember a similiar set of posts earlier.

Check out 4x4groupbuy.com

Otherwise I've heard that Wal-mart is the cheapest, although they may have to order them for you.

JP

77 Sport,
Let me know where you wind up gwtting the MTR's I will need a set soon. My BFG's are real soft and may get only another winter from them. Live in San Ramon seems we have a pretty good contingent of EB owners in the Bay Area!!

OP
OP

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
looks like i might end up getting them at 4wheel parts, i did find them online for about $100 cheaper for the tires but by time i get mounted and balanced it would cost the same. for 4 tires and black steel rims, mounted balanced and with the hazard warrenty they wanted $1172. otd. I will probably look around for a little longer before I get something. Never know when a good deal will show up.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
$189 seems a little steep. Check just small tire dealers around your area. I've found a place in my area that sells tires and rims for unbeatable prices and they don't charge any shipping fees. I got Mickey Thompson Classic II's with center caps for 100 bucks and BFG AT 32x11.5's for $107 a piece placed on the rims and balanced. You might just be so lucky to find a place but I definately would not pay 189 and shipping!

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that depends on what the 189 gets you. If it has a free replacement that is really cheap. Got a tire torn on a sharp rock took it to Discount and they replace the tire for free you just pay 10 bucks for mounting and balance. I got mine 35's from discount for about 900 but that included state taxes(almost 9 % ) lifetime rotation and balances and free replacement warranty(no restrictions even if they are siped! Something your goodyear dealer will not do!)

Last edited:

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
Just an update with what I paid for mine. The tire price was $159 each. (For 35x12.5x15 wrangler mtr's) For the mount(on my rims), balance, valvestems, and the hazzard protection it was $143.92. And if I got the alignment it would of been another $60. So, my grand total for the whole thing was $835.17 out the door. I shopped around and thought this was a great deal. I didn't think I could do any better. If any of you were able to get a better deal than this let me know. The next time around I'll look a little more.