• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got Carried Away Buildup (Pics Updated 7/12/06)

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
Hey Mike, looking good. It was practically running last time I saw it but years from now you'll be glad you did this right. Keep it up.

BlackHorse

MikeEB said:
One more quick update just for Patrick ;D HAHA, thanks for catching that.

162191285_8e5ee07f7f.jpg

You might as well turn the shackle bolt around now, the head should be on the frame side. Just trying to be helpful. Peace:) It's looking great.

OP
OP
MikeEB

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
BlackHorse said:
You might as well turn the shackle bolt around now, the head should be on the frame side. Just trying to be helpful. Peace:) It's looking great.

Just curious, but the difference would be? ?:? It clears between the shackle and the mount at the spring end and I really don't see what the base bolt on the shackle to frame mount would matter?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I think it is a safety thing...if the nut comes off, the bolt stays in keeping the spring in place (frame blocks it from exiting). If the bolt is from the outside it can come right out and make for a precarious situation. I think the double wrap in the front is a safety thing too. I put mine on backwards too ;) I was a little bummed that I had to unbolt all that crap to flip them..ugh.

OP
OP
MikeEB

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
PDXBronco said:
I think it is a safety thing...if the nut comes off, the bolt stays in keeping the spring in place (frame blocks it from exiting). If the bolt is from the outside it can come right out and make for a precarious situation. I think the double wrap in the front is a safety thing too. I put mine on backwards too ;) I was a little bummed that I had to unbolt all that crap to flip them..ugh.

Huh, I hadn't considered that. Thanks alot for tip guys, I suppose that makes sense and it doesn't hurt anything to just switch it up.

Thanks,
Mike

BlackHorse

MikeEB said:
Huh, I hadn't considered that. Thanks alot for tip guys, I suppose that makes sense and it doesn't hurt anything to just switch it up.

Thanks,
Mike

Once the bushings wear in you can get a good amount of flex when articulating, (flex in the bushings, it's worse if you use rubber) enough that the bolt will be forced into the spring hanger. Once that happens rear travel comes to a halt. That's bad and it will mees up the fine paint job you have done on the frame.:)

joe

Bronco Guru
where did you get your High 9 at?
Why cant a guy just flip a stock rear end??:?

OP
OP
MikeEB

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
joe said:
Blackhorse,
Thanks for the catch, guess I'll take my suspension apart AGAIN%). I really appreciate you guys catching these small mistakes, it's without a doubt going to save a large number of headaches later. Keep the "Hey buddy that's not right" threads coming, because there are going to be plenty I am sure:p .

Joe,
I actually picked up my axles already built from another guy here on the board. I think he said he picked it up from a guy who was selling it local. You ought to be able to just call currie and order the 3rd member directly from them. Like was previously mentioned I think you have to have reverse cut gears in order to invert the 3rd member on a stock 9, but I really don't know. Not sure that I have ever actually even seen it done. You are likely better off just switching to a currie Hi-9 or a true Hi-9 and upgrade to 31 or 35 spline (more involved in the 35 swap than just the 3rd).

Thanks,
Mike

daj

joe said:

Because the rear would be going in reverse and the front would be going forward. You would tear the old girl in half, and if in two wheel drive you would only have 1 gear forward and. depending on your gear box, 3 or 4 backwards. ya think?
dj

Blackcypress-EB

Loc.
Winchester, KY
daj said:
Because the rear would be going in reverse and the front would be going forward. You would tear the old girl in half, and if in two wheel drive you would only have 1 gear forward and. depending on your gear box, 3 or 4 backwards. ya think?
dj

3 or 4 gears in reverse, huh, I bet the French could use some of those in their tanks.:)

OP
OP
MikeEB

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Ok, got the transmission and transfercase in yesterday. I'll put pics on tonight, should have the body on by this weekend as soon as I finish tweaking a few last details. I'll try and get pics up tonight.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeEB

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Ok, I know it's a rather easy step, but man does it make you feel good seeing things come back together.
187780711_18de6e38e7.jpg

351w, and yes it will be running TB injection for now.
187780713_8187e4358f.jpg

OP
OP
MikeEB

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I think it may have actually came out to tall, so I may either drop the 2 BL or drop down to 3.5 coils and leafs. I haven't decided yet, so any opinions are worth hearing. I also still have to stretch out the rear wheel wells and cut the rear fenders for the stretched wheel base, but the body is mounted for good at this point.;D

welndmn

Bronco Guru
It does look tall now, but I would give it time, once you get some weight in there it will sag down.
Looks great though, putting the body back on is a huge step!