• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got my new dash and have questions

ruivo

Loc.
Bountiful, UT
BC Broncos sent my blank dash and it arrived the other day. I got a blank because I didn't want the glove box. Anyway my question is how would you recommend cutting the hole for the gauge cluster. Any tips and tricks. I am setting up the new dash off the Bronco then when its ready I am doing a full rewire along with the install of the new dash. Any and every suggestion is much appreciated!!

Thanks

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Dont they sell it with the guage cluster hole already cut?

Its not gona be easy to cut without distorting and warping and bending the edges. Its probably easyer to weld in the stuff you dont want on the old dash than to cut in the stuff you need!

I used a jig saw to cut my radio opening and it did slightly warp the edge. Since the guage cluster needs a super clean edge i really dont see a easy way to do it. Id suggest having it cut on a laser or water jet.

OP
OP
ruivo

ruivo

Loc.
Bountiful, UT
They do have the dash with the hole cut out but I don't want the glove box at all. I'm getting a lock box under the PS seat

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
For round stuff a duct hole cutter works well. May be slow depending on the metal thickness. Don't force it let the bit do the work or it will slip and get you an oval.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Sorry, I thought everyone knew that Lowes has big hole saws. Once the dash is folded you can't Lazar cut it and nothing else will leave the edge smooth enough that we have found.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ya i never new they had huge hole saws! Please update this thread when you get it cut and let us know what you used. Id like a dash from BC someday as well.

OP
OP
ruivo

ruivo

Loc.
Bountiful, UT
hey chuck should I get the six inch hole saw? thats the biggest they have and I want to make sure it works

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I'll check tomorrow but I think 6 is right. The hole saw will not make a real round hole so we use a drum sander to finish the hole.
PS I have a ajustable 2 arm cutter but the guys like the hole saw better.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Here is the picture of the hole saw we use. It is from Home depot and is 6 3/8 inch

Attachments

• saw_0020.jpg
    saw_0020.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 67

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
That is a clean hole. I would like to see one made. Either way it will not work on a dash because the dash panel is not flat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ruivo

ruivo

Loc.
Bountiful, UT
got a hole saw and the biggest they had was 6" unless I use a recessed lighting saw. Anyway so I'm hoping to get some pics and progress this weekend. One question for anyone that has done this, do I have to get different(longer or shorter) cables for my heat and what not. I have most of the bezels and I am going to set everything up then cut it all out. Thanks for all the input fellas