• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got to drive it, now a new steering box?

NoAZ68

Loc.
Northern AZ
Fnally got to drive the truck this weekend. It's been down a while, while doing routine maintenance (put in a 351w, Dana44, front discs, BC 3.5" lift) :)
While on our around the block excursion, I noticed a lot of play in the steering. Being as I just replaced practically my whole front end, I figure it has to be my stock manual steering box. The old Bronc tracks straight and true, but has that lovely play in the steering. I know this subject has been covered many times, but I'm not finding what I am looking for in the search.
What is the easiest, cheapest, best way to go about this. I would like to upgrade to PS, but I can't afford to buy the whole kit from one of the vendors. Where can I get a good PS box, and what would be the best (ie. least mods, most reliable, doesn't hang to the ground). I live in AZ, and am always in Phoenix of that helps.
Thanks

70_Steve

Old Guy
NoAZ68 said:
What is the easiest, cheapest, best way to go about this. I would like to upgrade to PS, but I can't afford to buy the whole kit from one of the vendors. Where can I get a good PS box, and what would be the best (ie. least mods, most reliable, doesn't hang to the ground). I live in AZ, and am always in Phoenix of that helps.
Not asking for much, are you?! ;)

A couple years ago, I got a 2WD F150 ps box, old style ps pump, brackets and hoses from Drive Auto Parts in Phoenix. Also got a collapsible steering shaft out of some old Ch*vy. Don't remember which one, but it was 3/4" dia. (Randy knew what I needed). Bought u-joints and the PS box bracket from WH. All together, I had a little over $300 invested to get what was, at the time, a $700 Power steering kit from most vendors.

Yeah, the box hangs down a little lower than I'd like, and I'd really like to have a box that mounts on the outside of the frame. But, for $300 I'm not going to complain.