• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'Green Acres' Bronco

72_EB

66to77
They talk about the C&*%y pickup in Dazed and Confused, but what about the football coach's sweet EB?

72_EB

66to77
"DON'T FORGET MY BRONCO OR YOU GET PUSHUPS, SON!"

capture7cmg9.jpg

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
What do they know....'67?...I've seen atleast 3 different yrs. '66-'67-'68

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
crap...I think I tossed that issue. Anyone know when this issue came out?

OP
OP
Stroppe-Envy-77

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
crap...I think I tossed that issue. Anyone know when this issue came out?

I'm fairly certain not everything they post on their web site makes it into the printed magazine.

And I'm 100% sure this article wasn't in the most recent one.

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm fairly certain not everything they post on their web site makes it into the printed magazine.

And I'm 100% sure this article wasn't in the most recent one.

Thanks SE, exactly what I wanted to know. It would have sucked to have thrown out the one issue which might have featured a bronco.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
i actually know where the "Green Acres" Bronco is located, long story, but talked to the owner several years ago, he bought it at a Paramount Studios auction sometime in the '70's, if its still around its within an hour from me. Odds are, they used more than one Bronco on the show?? I really believed the owners' story, he was a very successful lawyer at the time.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
i actually know where the "Green Acres" Bronco is located, long story, but talked to the owner several years ago, he bought it at a Paramount Studios auction sometime in the '70's, if its still around its within an hour from me. Odds are, they used more than one Bronco on the show?? I really believed the owners' story, he was a very successful lawyer at the time.

Yes it is documented that there were at least 3 or more different yrs!!

OP
OP
Stroppe-Envy-77

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru

The earliest one ('66) is supposedly in Los Angeles in someone's private collection. I've never seen it, but met the owner's sister who swore it was "the" Bronco from the show, and for some reason was fairly certain about the year. (She saw mine and knew a surprising amount about Broncos.)

Interesting about the claim of the attorney:

• "Green Acres" wasn't filmed at Paramount.
  • Typically, the studios themselves never owned the vehicles, but rather, the auto manufacturers did. Note that in this screen grab of the '66 Bronco in the show from IMCDB http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_234344-Ford-Bronco-1966.html, you can just make out a black California "MFG" license plate on the front. These plates actually show up quite a bit in early television shows, before the prop departments became more careful about putting dummy plates on cars. ("They'll never see it" was probably a valid excuse, with nobody having any idea years ago that people would someday be able to do clear freeze-frames of movies and TV shows.) After their time in production, they would just go off to be sold at auction. Sometimes, studio personnel or others associated with the show were able to purchase them, but documenation of those purchases tends to be rare.
  • Producers, studios and auto manufacturers rarely kept track of cars used in productions. The vehicles were just "props" like anything else. In one blatant example, "Route 66" used many new Corvettes during the run of the series, but neither General Motors nor anyone else kept track of VINs. The identities of the cars are a mystery to this day

Not saying the guy doesn't actually have a screen-used Bronco from the show, but without some kind of paperwork, it's tough to actually prove.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
Well it may not have been Paramount, heck this has been 10-12 yrs ago, the guy was in a Jaguar & saw me in an EB, pulled me over looking at the Bronco & told me the whole story, and some of his cohorts knew about it as well. Anyways sounded believable to me, I don't believe he woulda made it all up.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I met a guy out at FFF two years ago who was checking out my dad's 66 U13 and was asking if we had another one of the early style rivited stock wheels that he needed for his spare.

He said he had one of the original Green Acres Broncos. I forget all the details, but as I recall, he had a traceable lineage to it. I gave him a card and told him to contact me about the wheel in a couple weeks after I'd have time to look when I got back to PA, but never heard from him.

72_EB

66to77
Sounds like dreams I have at night. ;)

You'd think the lot of us were born on Henry's original assembly lines to get so wrapped up in this stuff. Love it. ;D

I met a guy out at FFF two years ago who was checking out my dad's 66 U13 and was asking if we had another one of the early style rivited stock wheels that he needed for his spare.

He said he had one of the original Green Acres Broncos. I forget all the details, but as I recall, he had a traceable lineage to it. I gave him a card and told him to contact me about the wheel in a couple weeks after I'd have time to look when I got back to PA, but never heard from him.