• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Green Ignition Aux Wire

Cardfan

Loc.
St Louis, MO
Can the green 16g ignition Aux wire from a centech harness run both the Reg S exciter for the 3g And the electric choke on edelbrock? This is how the PO had it setup, but didn’t know if they can share the same line like that

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well if it's the one marked "Reg S" (or something similar?) then it probably can. If it's one of the other Green wires for switched accessories it should NOT be used on the alternator.
They're two separate functions, and I hate putting extra stuff on important circuits like the ignition and charging systems, but it probably is not hurting anything as long as it's hot with the key in the ON position only.
If you have 12v with the key in the ACC position then find another wire to switch on the 3G

Paul

OP
OP
C

Cardfan

Loc.
St Louis, MO
It’s the reg S that was attached to the original external regulator but tracing it into the harness it’s attached to the green aux right at the firewall which also feeds the choke. I’m not a fan of dual use wires either - maybe I’ll take the harness apart deeper in the cab to see if there’s a dedicated reg S or white choke separately

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought they had a choke wire included too, but it might have been cut out at some point. Be nice if you find it cleanly tucked away for future use though!

Paul

OP
OP
C

Cardfan

Loc.
St Louis, MO
Just went out and unraveled it under the dash. Looked factory wrapped to me, but who knows. Same wires come all the way back with just the green ignition aux under there. The white choke and reg s are only short pieces scabbed onto that ignition aux under the hood. Maybe cause it’s an older harness..don’t know. Might need a plan B - never a quick fix that’s for sure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well if it’s a factory splice from Centech, I would trust it.
Since the original Ford electric choke used the stator wire from the alternator (lower voltage and only hot with the engine running), but the Edelbrock is expecting 12V on with the key, that seems like a reasonable action to take when trying to plan ahead for what a bronco customer might need.
It’s the only/best way to get power when the key is ON but not in ACC.