• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grill Trim installation question?

slim811

Contributor
I am thinking of getting a complete set of the Chrome Moulding Kit before I paint my Bronco. Has anyone installed this on a factory grill that did not come with the holes already drilled? Also since body work is done I would not want to remove the grill. Can I install (somewhat easily) without removal of grill. Thanks!

Attachments

• 6677GRLLTIMKIT.JPG
    6677GRLLTIMKIT.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 60

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
You definitely want to install the holes before painting so the edges of the holes do not rust and stain the grill paint. You can do it on the vehicle all assembled with some help no problem. I put the trim all together then positioned it where I wanted it (it does not fit in any ONE place you can move it around a bit) then drew a pencil line on each side of the trim along the top piece. Then I put a hole in the center of the two lines in the middle of the grill. Then I did the same for the bottom row but I put the trim back on and lightly installed the top fastener. This way you know it is where it is going to be. Then I install the bottom and top fasteners lightly. With the grill hanging on these I ran a line on each side of the top and trim, took it off, drilled the holes installed all the fasteners. I kept doing this until the top and bottom where neatly installed. As the trim gets tightened down the sides move a little and this lets you mark them in the final position plus they have some adjustment. Fun job if you have some patience.

I was too cheap to buy the OEM grill trim mounting kit. I went to Home Depot and bought 20 nylon 1/4-20 screws and nuts. Then I gently ground down the hex to make it fit the trim channel. They work great and do not rust plus it was $3~

OP
OP
S

slim811

Contributor
Ok Thank you.

Good Idea on the nuts and screws from the Home depot. I have a friend near by that bought a used grill with the factory holes and the trim all for $60. Maybe I will wait and look around for some used trim myself. Thanks again, Slim.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I see you are in Wilkes-Barre. There is a good guy from outside Philly who can set you with used trim (and practically anything). He can ship or you can pick it up.

You can find him in parts for sale as Delconick.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My stock plastic fasteners gave way a long time ago. I used elevator bolts and nyloc nuts. It would be a lot easier to get them installed without a winch blocking access to the lower holes, like mine.

rchristen

Does anyone know what the 1/4" plastic pegs are for that come with the Grill Chrome hardware kit? I'm not seeing the use for these in the kit but know they are to be used for something.

Hotrodjohn

those pegs go in the center of the little white mounting blocks to hold them in the grill

rchristen

Grill Chrome plugs

Thanks for the insight. I figured I could get my fingers behind it and could hold and twist the little white mounting blocks for these straight flat chrome pieces (top and bottom). It's the right and left curved pieces that look to be difficult and I don't think there are pegs for that hardware. Or maybe I have my hardware packets incorrectly aligned to the chrome pieces. Some basic instructions on the kit would be nice as I don't want to drill incorrectly. Does anyone have a pic where the holes are located from the factory for this chrome?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I'm sure someone has a picture but the best thing to do is lay the trim out fully assembled on your grill. Center it top to bottom and side to side then tape it down tight. Then trace around inside and outside with a pencil. Take off trim drill holes in the center of your pencil lines. Put one on each side of the corners and several along the straight sections evenly spaced.