• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grinder Talk

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
http://www.google.com/products/cata...g_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQ8wIwAw#p

This is my angle grinder. I've beat the snot out of this thing for many years now and it is great. Only complaint is that I think I'm slowing growing deaf from it. I'm pretty much need earplugs all the time. My buddy had a Dewalt too and it was never this loud. Just looking for thoughts on what folks are using (4 1/2" or big boy 7"s). Tell me about power and durability of yours and if you'd recommended. I might have to sand down a tub instead of blasting and might upgrade since it will be a big job. I'd prefer to stick with an electric tool instead of an air tool, but open to ideas. Thanks in advance.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I have a couple of grinders and I abuse them alot. My lighter grinder is alway set-up with zip wheels (cut-off wheels) because it is light I'll sometimes swap the disc for grinding duties.
I find myself using the grinder alot for small tasks with one hand so I'll be getting the Bosch 1380 slim soon to add to my arsenal. Great grip in one hand.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1380+Slim

r03708v14.jpg

barronj

Bronco Guru
I might have to sand down a tub instead of blasting and might upgrade since it will be a big job. I'd prefer to stick with an electric tool instead of an air tool, but open to ideas. Thanks in advance.

Ditto. I'm looking for suggestions on what grinder (& what attachment) to use to tackle a tub.

I have a 4.5" Ryobi that has been trusty so far...

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have a Dewalt. That I love I have used it for everything and it has been drop a bunch of times and is still ticking. But you have to wathc there are two versions of the dewalt 4.5 grinder one is junk the other is good. The higher amp one is the one to get.

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
dont get a harbor freight, killed it after 2 hours with wire wheel getting surface rust out of bed of bronco. had a dewalt( forgot it at jobsite), never had problems, have ryobi still working wish i had 2 right now ,, hate changing cut off wheel to flap disk,,, back and forth.

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
I currently own a Dewalt 5" but I would highly recommend the Makita 9005B. The Dewalt has been durable but I don't particularly like the oversized grip (I even have large hands). The Makita has a much better grip, in my opinion. The reason why I switched was because of the extreme cost of the Makita ($130 plus). But if you plan to do any substantial amount of grinding, the comfort of the Makita is substantially better.

racetra

Loc.
Arnold Ca
I have the Milwaukee. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also have a 18v DeWalt that works really great for quick little jobs. It doesn't hold a charge long enough for the bigger projects though. Need a big 7-8 inch grinder now. Cant afford a plasma cutter for those nice clean cuts yet so will stick to the cuttin torch for now.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I liked my old PC, but it was slightly weak. The good side of that was - it would run on my 1KW inverter. I killed it by dropping it on the shaft lock button while it was spinning - the gears sort of exploded. My new DW pulls too much to start, so the inverter shuts down. But on house power, it's noticeably stronger than the PC. And I can still 1-hand it.

They're all loud, though. I just keep earplugs & safety glasses in the same box with the grinder & wheels.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I've thoroughly abused my Black and Decker $20 special for the last 4 years. I bought it in a pinch only expecting it to last one project and it just won't die! During my frame off build, I ran the snot out of it and it still runs today...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Metabo 4 1/2" grinder is also known as my 2nd ps.

This is the final word..from a guy who runs a fab shop with quite a few 4.5" grinders and has run every brand there is of 4.5" grinders (Milwaukee, Ryobi, B&D, Dewalt, .etc etc..etc)

Metabo rules. I used to replace at least two 4.5" grinders every year, regardless of brand. I started buying Metabos in 2003...and have not replaced a single one..ever.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
This isn't going to help you but I have a really really old black and decker and have used the snot out of it. Finally the cord rotted off of it and I replaced the cord with a 3.8 drill that had died. She is still going strong. I have a bosch that is nice but I don't expect it to last nearly as long. I run with a cutoff wheel and one with a grinder/sander disc.

Ben

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Must be something about those old Black and Deckers, I have one also that has lasted a long long time and still going. I also have 2 Dewalts.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I actually think my black decker is labeled black and decker industrial. I have always thought these were the pre-runner to the dewalt line of tools.

Ben

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Just looked tonight. My is the 7 amper. Got another good workout tonight. Still like it, but anyone else besides Steve83 on the noise factor? Is it just the nature of the beast? Just plug the ears and deal with it? That's really my only complaint other than a 7" would cut some worktime down on the tub also.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I ask this same question about a year ago .. I got about the same responses your getting .. Due to money being so tight I bought a Ryobi for about $49.95 . I'VE LOVED IT. my little air die grinder wouldn't keep up and I have 2 ...7 inch one polisher and one grinder .. But there were so large hard to get into small places. I have been impressed with my little 4.5 disk grinder. I find myself going and getting it instead of the others.
....The wrench to take the disk off could sure be better . It has bent.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Electric Cutting Torch

I had a chicago one from menards, it has lasted quite a while. Black and deckers seem to always roach out on me.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
7"ers are just too big and heavy, I prefer the 4.5". I had a milwaukee for years until the paddle switch went bad, would stick in the on position at the worst possible time. Then purchased a Makita that works very well. The only thing I don't like about it is the switch locks in the on position, I like a grinder that I have to hold in the on position. Some day I'll fix my Milwaukee