• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Guages not working...Help!

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas
I've been trying to diagnose my instrument cluster problems and had a question. When I purchased my Bronco the voltage regulator was allowing the battery to be charged at 16 volts, and boiling out my battery acid. I replaced the regulator and the IVR on the instrument cluster. The IVR shows to be functioning properly. I ran an additional ground strap from the head to the firewall. My question is, could the 16 volts have fried the guages in the instrument cluster? Or would the old IVR have protected them to some extent?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
you say ivr appears to work?remove wire on temp sender,turn ign key to acc.what is the voltage on the temp wire?should be pulsing voltage 3-6 volts.if good moumentarly ground temp wire.if gauge goes full scale gauge and ivr should be ok.if no voltage,make sure ivr is connected.remove cluster,disc gauges,with ohmmeter measure res of gauges.should be 10-14 ohms.